It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chemotherapy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2008, 02:44 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Laura B HB User
Chemotherapy

I had a lumpectomy and have to have six chemo treatments, each treatment three weeks apart. Can someone tell me at what time I will start losing my hair? Does it happen right after the first treatment? And after I'm done with all 6 treatments, how long does it take before the hair starts growing back?
Thank you
Laura

Old 03-03-2008, 03:36 PM   #2
(male)

prouddad98 HB User
Re: Chemotherapy

It depends on the drug, for my wife and her friend it started at about 15 days after the first round. We are on round three and you can read about my wife on here. It is under possible breast cancer. My wife also has inflammatory breast cancer Her2 positive. Good luck and God bless. I will keep an eye open for your posts.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2008, 11:16 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Laura B HB User

Prouddad, I just read your thread about your wife. I guess I better start looking around for a wig.

Tomorrow I have to go for a PET scan which was ordered by my oncologist. Then next week I have to see my surgeon about putting a port in for my chemo treatments. I wonder about how big a procedure that is.

After completion of my 6 chemo treatments I have to see an radiation-oncologist for radiation treatment.

I don't know too much about my cancer, I just know that my breast is completely cancer free now and the after treatments are for prevention of cancer coming back. I was told my cancer was 1 cm. Many people on this board talk about all the different severities etc. of their breast cancer, all I know is about the 1 cm and that they got it all. Quite frankly, I don't actually want to know every little detail.
One good thing I have on my side, that is my age - 78 - and I know in the elderly cancer grows very slowly.
Laura

Old 03-06-2008, 08:39 AM   #4
(female)

DDee1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura B View Post
I had a lumpectomy and have to have six chemo treatments, each treatment three weeks apart. Can someone tell me at what time I will start losing my hair? Does it happen right after the first treatment? And after I'm done with all 6 treatments, how long does it take before the hair starts growing back?
Thank you
Laura
Laura,

I too had a lumpectomy and then mammosite radiation for week, now doing chemotheraphy at three weeks apart. It depends on the chemo meds whether you will lose your hair or have thinning. I just had my second treatment and have not lost any. But was told if you are going to lose your hair it will begin at 2-3, some say 4 weeks. They told me not to shave you run the risk of cutting to close or nicking youself, just cut it short if it begins to fall out. I am taking CMF and my doctor doesn't think I will lose my hair maybe some thinning. But time will tell I know. I am preparing myself incase it happens. Also do you know that the Amer. Cancer Society will furnish you a free wig, transportation or alot of other helps for free? I wish you blessings and much peace.

Dee*

Old 03-08-2008, 10:35 PM   #5
(female)

joanne95 HB User

Laura,

I had chemo twice. (1st time- Adryomiacin, Cytoxin) (2nd time- Taxol) both times I began loosing hair around day 13. It will take about two full weeks to loose your hair. After your last treatment you will start seeing signs of new fine baby hair about a month later. For me, loosing my hair was mentally the hardest challenge. As a word of encouragement, I told my 3 and 7 year old, "It's good mommy is loosing her hair because that means the chemo is working." One last word of advice- try to drink a gallon of water the day of chemo, and a half gallon the rest of the days. This will help flush the toxins out of your kidneys, otherwise it will crystalize in there and make for some tough side effects.

Take good care of yourself-God bless you and may you have many years of happiness

Closed Thread