It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chemotherapy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2009, 03:37 PM   #1
(female)

mocity HB User
Nails - Chemotherapy

Hi,

I just completed 12 weeks of chemotherapy, specifically Taxol. After about week 6, my nail beds got very tender and started turning black. This is on my hands and feet. I ended up at a podiatrist...... I had to have one of my big toenails removed... my toe was swollen and a second nail was coming in and pushing up the other one. It was going to come off anyway but when she tried to drain it it started coming off. Now my other big toe has been black and she has drained it to take away some of the pressure. I am guessing it is just a matter of time before this one comes off too. I have 4 other toes that are black but so far not coming off.

My fingernails look black and bruised. They were throbbing but gradually that is subsiding. Three of my nails are lifting..... it is all so ugly but the bad part is I can barely do things with my hands for fear of catching my nails on something.

I went to a derm and she gave me a steriod cream and has me soaking my fingers in vinegar soaks. I am also taking a supplement Appearex that has Biotin.

My question is WHAT can I do to make this LOOK better while I am going through this and what can I do to be able to function better?? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Old 02-12-2009, 01:15 PM   #2
(female)

mocity HB User
Re: Nails - Chemotherapy

Just to add in case anyone can help....I have gone to a dermatologist and they gave me an antibiotic; however, they don't believe there is a fungus... it is just the after effects the chemo had on my nails. She is having me do vinegar soaks to avoid infection and said they just have to grow out.

Her advice was no polish, etc.... however, this is so ugly. Would acrylic be crazy???? Jeez, I just had a bilateral mastectomy, no hair from chemo ... would like some nails..........please help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2009, 11:15 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

You need to follow the advise of your dermatologist as there is nothing else you can do to make them look better until all the discoloration is gone or the nail plate has been removed at the point of separation. This is sometimes a side-effect of chemo treatments. I am suprised the doctors didn't tell you.

Old 02-16-2009, 05:18 AM   #4
(female)

mocity HB User

Thank you for your response. Actually the doc did mention that sometimes this can be a problem. however, it is more rare in people taking weekly treatments so theywere suprised as to the extent I am experiencing. Also, at the time talking about cancer, recurrance %'s, losing your hair...... someone saying you MIGHT have issues with your nails didn't really jump out at me as something to worry about.

So the answer I guess it that I just have to wait? I get so worried about the catching the ones that are lifted. BUT they are attached at the bottom to someting that appears heathly. What about painting them?? Would that hurt the nails? The nail is obviously already dead. I wonder how long the fingernails will take to grow out. I have read different estimate. I have also lost both big toenails and now 4 of the other smaller toenails.

Closed Thread