It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children - Special Needs Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2010, 07:46 AM   #16
(female)

TerryJ2 HB User
Re: autism child handcuffed at school

Burtist, don't you have an IEP for him? I would make sure he has one, while simultaneously filing charges. Seriously.
Poor kid. Poor mom.
If you can take time off from work, you may want to sit in the classroom w/him for a week to see what goes on there. Of course, they'll all be on their best behavior, but still, you will be able to intervene if he has a meltdown and show them how it's done.
Some of these so-called professionals don't have a clue. (The same goes for professional nursing homes. Give me a break!)
Married 31 yrs, 18-yr-old NT daug in coll, 13-yr-old Aspie, adopted 2 days old. Poss mood dis. LD but only 1 gr behind; priv school; wheat/gluten-free, milk-free diet; Adderall, Imiprimine, Clonidine.

Old 03-24-2010, 01:37 PM   #17
(female)

imjamm HB User

Hi... find an advocate. i would request a hearing with local school psychologist/psychiatrist and if he (your son)does not have an IEP, request that this be applied, your son has federal and state rights within the education perimeter. you also need to be present to sanction what they have placed in the IEP as it relates to your son...i would also take this matter up with local police, file a report. with an advocates help, contact your state board of education and your state rep. ask anything else you are not sure of, i will help direct you if i can. i have a 28 yr old son who experienced this when he attempted to go to a vocational school which serves the disabled and he was hand cuffed and taken away from the school to the local lock up...i feel for you and your son.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2010, 12:50 AM   #18
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by burtist View Post
our 8 yearold was handcuffed at school with his hands behind his back.he has autism.adhd,odd,bipolar.can anyone tell us if they have had this problem at school.and what they did to correct it.we have not had any luck with the school system.they keep him in a special ed room all day,they bring his lunch to him.he has to sit facing the wall also.if anyone has any advice please
Contact the superintendent of your school district about the incident and ask for an ARD meeting. You may also need to contact an attorney to see what your child's rights are and what the school is providing and not providing. There may be advocacy groups for parents in your area who may direct you to the right attorney,

As far as the incident, was he handcuffed to keep him from seriously hurting himself or another? In that case, awful as this may sound, they may have a legal right to handcuff or restrain him in order to prevent serious damage to self or others. It sounds like a tough situation, though.

Lastly, is your child taking medication to help control his symptoms? Something is definitely out of whack either with him and/or the way his environment is reacting to him if they are handcuffing him. But it would be worthwhile for you to investigate all the different points where you can intervene or changes can be made, aside from asking the school to tell you exactly what happened and how else they could have handled the problem.

I think if I were you in this situation, I would meet with the school, do some soulsearching to see if there is anything I need to be doing on my end and may also consult a lawyer because your child has longstanding and serious problems, and the potential for him to be abused within the school is there by the way they are already handling him now. I would find out exactly what they can and cannot do by law and then inform the school what is acceptable to you.

Rose

Old 04-05-2010, 06:15 PM   #19
(female)

Tami Kelly HB User

I am so sorry for what you and your child have gone through. We have experienced the same kind of mistreatment to a daughter at the hands of the public school system all because they wanted to "keep her safe". Please do not be fooled by this excuse!!! I listened to the school district tell me how "bad" my child was for 6 years, every time I questioned their behavior plan for my daughter. Then one day she came home with a broken nose, that her teacher could not explain away! We hired a lawyer and had my daughter removed from the public school district. She is now in an approved private school (that her school district needs to pay for) and is doing much better, but will have a very long process of unlearning all the defensive behaviors the "experts" from the public school taught her!! Please don't believe what the school district tells you...it is wrong to restrain any child in any way especially, if it causes that child harm or emotional distress!!! (I don't understand how anyone can treat a child this way!!!) Get your child out of that school with the help of a lawyer as soon as possible. You will need the lawyer, believe me, because a school that would handcuff a child will not do what is best for your child.

Old 04-29-2011, 05:07 PM   #20
(female)

Robertosmama HB User

I have a 8 year old son who has autism and have had no problems with his school, but he goes to a special school with other autistic children.

Closed Thread