It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children - Special Needs Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2011, 02:32 PM   #1
(female)

lbe1993 HB User
Baby with Cerebral Palsy needs a toy!

Hi my name sis Lauren and I need help...my son Ryan has cerebral palsy and he is 10 months old and 16 lbs...I really want to find him a walker or a bouncer for him for his birthday but I cant find anything that has neck and head support...He cant hold his head up and if I put him in the toy with out support then he can hurt himself. If you know of any walkers, bouncers or stationary toys that has neck and head support please let me know...Thank you.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:12 PM   #2
(female)

krazy2day HB Userkrazy2day HB Userkrazy2day HB Userkrazy2day HB Userkrazy2day HB User
Re: Baby with Cerebral Palsy needs a toy!

Lauren.. what youre looking for is termed assistive technology (AT). If you dont already have an Individual Family Service Plan (IFSP) through your local Early Intervention office (public schools will have this information) check into it. Most of the time you can find a local advocate for special needs who can help you acquire these things. Under some circumstances, these assistive devices can be special made for the child.

Also, under the IFSP your child is likely eligible for Occupational Therapy (OT) to help with dexterity issues, muscle balance, and things of the like. Unfortunately many people have to hear of these things on their own and ask that they be implemented.

All of the related info can be found under IDEA or IDEIA (birth to three) Part C. This is a federal law that outlines special needs education available to your child (age birth to graduation --or age 21).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread