It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children - Special Needs Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2011, 06:02 AM   #1
(female)

Kaseyjcf HB User
Smile child and school

Hi, I am the proud gram of a very precocious lovable 9 soon to be 10 year old granddaughter She has been diagnosed with a sensory processing disorder and she also has epilepsy. She has a great deal of difficulty socialy and exhibits many mannerisms that you would expect from a younger child. She is constantly needing assurance she is loved, and is fearful of anyone being mad at her. She has a need to touch objects and unfortunately people she encounters. Accademically she does quite well at shcool but has to be encouraged to complete tasks and keep attention on her work. She is unable to take most medications for ADD and related syndromes as most if not all these meds can bring on seizures. My son and his wife feel she is not ready to be advance to the next grade in school and because she is passing her subjects her school sees no reason to retain her. What options does my family have to insist that she be retained in 4th grade. Emotionally and maturity she is not ready. Thanks for any input and insights you may have. Kasey

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2011, 03:12 AM   #2
(female)

krazy2day HB Userkrazy2day HB Userkrazy2day HB Userkrazy2day HB Userkrazy2day HB User
Re: child and school

What reasons do the parents feel warrant her being held back? Is it related to her behavior being less mature than her peers? And if so, in what ways does this affect her (teasing, rejection, anxiety, etc)? Or what else might she do that is not age-appropriate?

Is she receiving any Occupational Therapy for the sensory processing issues? Are all of her senses effected? My son was the opposite of your g-daughter, he was very tactile defensive (resisted touch). Strangely so, he was calmed/desensitized by weighted vests and blankets. There is a science to sensory processing

Does your g-daughter have a 504 Plan or an IEP through her school? I'd be disappointed if she didn't, at least, have a 504 outligning her epilepsy.

By law your school isn't allowed to hold her back unless she fails to meet minimal academic standards. Even then it's tricky and schools can sometimes get in a lot of trouble holding a student back. It's a very case specfic issue.

But do know this... the district can address your g-childs sensory issues with intentions of minimzing out-of-norm behaviors. They can also work on social and emotional needs, finding ways to minimize her constant need for assurance.

If you reply to the few things I asked above, I can elaborate more on how to help your g-child. The answers are in the 504 and IEP and I already know she DEFINETLY needs a 504 for her epilepsy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread