It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children - Special Needs Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2011, 04:59 PM   #1
(female)

MAKI77 HB User
self injurious head hitting and autism

Has anyone had any success in stopping head hitting of their child.
My son is non-verbal and Autistic.
He hits himself in the head no matter what mood he is in.
His head is always itchy.
Please help if you have any suggestions.
thank you

Old 07-01-2011, 11:03 AM   #2
(female)

renko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB User
Re: self injurious head hitting and autism

I'm so sorry that you are having to see your son do this to himself. I have seen some mentally challenged children and adults wear helmets so they won't hurt themselves if they hit themself or fall down and hit their head. Have you asked the doctor for something for him to remain more calmer. I know it must be difficult and I don't know how old he is. I sure hope you have a support team to work with and that he can use play to communicate what he wants. I'm sure this can be very tiring and stressful for you. God bless you. Take care of yourself.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2011, 04:23 PM   #3
(female)

ebird01 HB User
Re: self injurious head hitting and autism

Self-injurious behavior like head hitting usually starts as a need for stimulation and becomes a habit. My youngest son started having issues with head banging when he was four months old and it became increasingly often as he got older. I taught in a classroom with a boy with severe autism who would hit and bang his head to the extent that he wore a helmet for protection. I didn't want this for my son, so at an early stage I would place a headband on his head when I noticed he would bang his head. He would keep the band on for 15-20 minutes and would then remove it. This seemed to help keep the banging at bay. If he has a particularly bad day, we will sometimes use a pair gun ear mufflers which squeeze a bit tighter than the headband, plus offers noise reduction. We have been using the headband and ear muffs for a number of years. He's seven now and will sometimes place the headband on by himself when he needs the help.

Closed Thread