It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children - Special Needs Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2012, 09:22 AM   #1
(female)

alwayzsumthin HB User
Unhappy My Toddler Hits me...

...and throws chairs, toys, or anything he can get his hands on. He screams bloody murder, pinches, squeezes and bites. He slaps, kicks and carries on until he just can't keep it up any longer and falls asleep.

He's 3 and a half. And this has been going on since birth. I always knew something was "off" with him. He'd bang his head as an infant, and cry uncontrollably to the point I'd have to restrain him in his carseat as to not hurt himself. So, please, don't tell me it's a "stage"...

I have 6 kids in all, and NONE of them have this "built-in rage" and it's exhausting me at this point, and now I'M losing my temper with HIM!

He's had some therapy; speech, occupational, and behavioural. His psychologist says he's got a mood disorder and SPD (sensory processing disorder) and a speech delay. He UNDERSTANDS everything you say to him...yet has trouble communicating and using his words. He can be very sweet one minute, then in a total rage the next.

I guess I'm not so much looking for a diagnosis, or an answer to a question...yet, looking for parents who go through this kind of stuff with their child. Someone I can bounce ideas off who's 'been there-done that'...

I believe he was BORN with this disorder, because, like I mentioned, it's been since birth that he is unconsolable with ZERO self soothing skills. His rage is sucking the life out of me, where I use to be a fun-loving parent... I actually DREAD the daily struggles... because it's so hard for me and my family and the other kids....

Please, if you know of anything that you've personally done to help your 'moody child' let me know

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2012, 02:56 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Brocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB User
Re: My Toddler Hits me...

My child was like that. She is almost 15 now and has been diagnosed with a mood disorder, Asperger's and ADHD. As your little boy is so young, I would suggest you begin doing some reading on biomedical treatment of mood disorders and even autism spectrum disorders (as I suspect that may be happening, too, since you mentioned the sensory and language issues). Sometimes dietary changes and a few supplements can be life changing and the younger you start, the better.

Feel free to PM me. I'm happy to help.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:47 PM   #3
(female)

RenaWonderland HB User
Re: My Toddler Hits me...

I am going through something similar. Nothing aids when my (2 year old) son is in his "mood." My other 2 children (age 8 and 3) are starting to really yell and sometimes hit him and are acting out because their brother is taking so much time away from their fun. I totally get it!! My son too has been like this since birth. Nothing ever really calmed him down. He has always been so hot or cold I can't remember him just "relaxing" and chilling out.

My question to you is how did you get him into somewhere regarding his behavior? I really feel this is something different then like your other children and no one believes you! When my sister actually experienced it full on she couldn't believe it! My son is getting speech therapy but they don't offer anything in regards to behavior stuff and don't offer any other services. My pediatrician doesn't seem to get it either. My son is not thriving as much as he should and I do beleive it is due to his behavioral issues. His height is on the 10% tile and weight is below as well. My other son was on the 90th at his age for both and my daughter is average. How did you get a diagnosis? Do I take him myself to a psychologist? Do I wait til he is 3? Even if you think everyday you are about to bust at the seems without any help!!

I hear your stress! I am there with you!

Reply Reply

Tags
anger problems, sensory, toddlers