It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children - Special Needs Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2012, 02:52 PM   #1
(female)

Jenf910 HB User
On the spectrum?

My daughter has always been highly emotion/sensitive/and hyper kid. Our Pedi passed it off as normal 2-3 yr old behavior. But she is now almost 4 years old and it's gotten worse. Here are some of things we are dealing with

- Numerous tantrums that seem to be about nothing or the tiniest things
- Obsessive about certain things (what chair to sit in, where an item must be placed, if I rearrange things it bothers her) but not others
- Picky with food and clothes
- Cries when I have to brush her hair, brush teeth, get changed
- Has little patience/attention span (will go from one thing to the next)

The worst is her behavior at school, I got the following note from her teacher:

"...interacts best when engaged one on one with teachers..has difficult time functioning in the classroom...trouble following directions...cannot interact with peers in a positive way. She spends little time engaged in activities...bulk of communication is screaming, crying, and tantrums. I have serious concerns about her behavior and its affect on the educational experience..."

Sometimes she plays well with others and can be very outgoing (outside of school) But apparently there she does not play as much with them and gets in trouble for hitting. She prefers older kids or babies over kids her age.

Some people are suggesting it sounds like something related to asd/pddnos since she only has some symptoms. We have a consult with her Pedi next week but I want to prepare myself (I'm very emotional myself and the thought of something being very wrong makes me sick). She is very expressive, picks up on our feelings, tons of eye contact, speaks well (but can't express her emotions when angry), is not obsessed with any particular topic/item, loves physical contact, learning well dispite her disruptions in class.

From those of you that have experience, what do you think?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply