It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children - Special Needs Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2013, 04:31 PM   #1
(female)

MamasBabiesx5 HB User
12 yr old son with ADHD

My 12 yr old son (who is also my oldest) was diagnosed with ADHD when he was 6 years old. He is in the 5th grade. He is currently taking Focalin XR 25 mg once a day. It seems to help him quite a lot in school (he has had a few outbursts when the teacher corrects him on a wrong answer), but when he is at home, he is a living terror. He is hyperactive, mouthy, disobedient, and at times, violent. This occurs on the weekends after his medicine is taken, or when he gets home from school. I'm literally at my wits ends with him. I have no idea how to take control back from him. Any ideas?

Old 01-26-2013, 07:34 PM   #2
(female)

mmisty HB Usermmisty HB Usermmisty HB Usermmisty HB Usermmisty HB Usermmisty HB User
Re: 12 yr old son with ADHD

Hi Mama, so very sorry for you. I went through the same thing with my son. He was on Ritalin starting at age 8 because of ADHD. When the rages got totally out of control at age 12 the psych. put him on Wellbutrin. He was also put in a anger managment class. That helped for a while. My son, husband and I went to counselling. I wish I could say that it helped, but it didn't. I wish you much luck. Sorry I haven't been any help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2013, 08:24 PM   #3
(female)

sadgirl74 HB Usersadgirl74 HB User

i took dexedrine from 6yrs old to now i am now 38. i have had major migraines all of my life, i dont know if they are related. i would stop all meds and try counseling etc only. my friend with a daughter who is 13 is in the same boat, the girl takes adhd meds and wellbutrin and rages all the time. she looks / acts like a 8 year old but is 13, i dont know if thats related to the meds ? good luck and keep in prayers.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:17 AM   #4
(female)

metalzombie HB Usermetalzombie HB Usermetalzombie HB Usermetalzombie HB Usermetalzombie HB User

He needs to be in counseling. If you have a good counselor, it can be helpful. At the very least, they can give you some pointers in how to handle your son when the outbursts occur and possibly help him deal with them better. It is possible he needs a change in meds. Some of the side-effects of these types of medications are anger/rage, depression, etc.

You are likely dealing with the onset of Teen hormones, too. Not fun by themselves.

Old 07-20-2013, 12:06 PM   #5
(female)

motherly777 HB User

Put him on GAPS diet. It is designed for children w/ behavior issues (autism, add,adhd, dyslexia etc. It truly works. You should purchase the book and it will give you a better understanding on how/why your child is having thee issues. The meds only mask the symptoms instead of getting to the root of the problem. This is well definitely help your child.

Last edited by moderator2; 07-20-2013 at 12:10 PM. Reason: posted disallowed website

Old 10-15-2013, 10:28 AM   #6
(female)

Kaseyjcf HB User

Hi, I have a grand child that has ADHD and also OCD. She is openly defiant, argues about absolutely everything, is possessive and hostile at times. She can be very sweet when she wants something and other times there is no way to please or placate her. One example is one day she was left in the care of her older brother while her parents ran an errand. They were away less than 2 hours but when they returned she barraged them with accusations and anger. She told her parents they should have told her how long they would be gone, right down to the minute and why did it take them so long. She was instructed calmly to go to her room and pull herself together. She replied no and made sure she interrupted every conversation. Her parents are at their wits end as how to deal with this. I believe that as she is approaching puberty, her meds may need to be adjusted or changed. Her grandfather and I were stunned at her behavior. I have to admire her mom and dad, not once did they raise their voices, they both remained calm and reasonable to her demands. My heart goes out to all of you, it is not easy dealing with an emotional child.

Reply Reply

Tags
adhd, focalin xr