It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2003, 06:07 AM   #1

Karrinna HB User
Unhappy Honey is bad for baby

I read somewhere that you should not feed an infant honey, which I won't do. I'm breastfeeding my baby, would my eating honey affect her? I'm a bit paranoid.

Old 11-23-2003, 04:09 AM   #2

SweetTemptation HB User
Re: Honey is bad for baby

I work as a nanny for 5 week old twins, along with the mother there all day. We put honey on their pacificers to get them to accept it. The mother asked the doctor about it, if it was unhealthy. There is a specific problem that honey can cause but I cant remember the name of it. The Dr. said tha chanced of honey being harmful are VERY slim, so the mother continues to put honey on their pacifiers. If we are feeding them honey directly, I dont see how YOU eating honey would affect your breastmilk enough that you should worry. I would suggest asking your doctor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-24-2003, 10:01 AM   #3

Chayce's mom HB User

It's perfectly safe for a pregnant woman to eat honey, though it should not be fed to children under age 1 because it may contain the deadly bacterium Chlostridium botulinum. When they grow in contaminated foods or inside the digestive tract of a young child, they can produce a toxin that causes botulism, a rare but sometimes deadly disease.

I would assume since pregnant women can eat honey nursing mothers can too.

Old 11-24-2003, 11:34 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Meg28 HB User

The same thing goes for corn syrup.

Old 03-11-2004, 01:36 AM   #5
Inactive

MadSkillzGal HB User

As a mother I'm pretty horrified people are still thinking it's ok to put sweeteners on babies pacifiers. This can cause horrible damage to a child. I'm more shocked at a doctor saying this is acceptable. When did this doctor qualify ... in 1870? Honestly, isn't this just common sense though?

[removed]

Last edited by Moderator BAC; 03-11-2004 at 05:36 AM. Reason: Do not post websites without Moderator 1 approval. Read and follow our rules!

Old 03-11-2004, 08:18 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadSkillzGal
As a mother I'm pretty horrified people are still thinking it's ok to put sweeteners on babies pacifiers. This can cause horrible damage to a child. I'm more shocked at a doctor saying this is acceptable. When did this doctor qualify ... in 1870? Honestly, isn't this just common sense though?

[removed]
Oh, dear... Then you'd really be shocked to hear that we put nesquik in my baby's bottles of formula Extra 100 calories, is an extra 100 calories when one has problems with "failure to thrive"

Old 03-11-2004, 08:38 AM   #7
Inactive

MadSkillzGal HB User

It's not the calories that would horrify me but the fact that you would put something with all those addictives, colorings and sugars into your baby's bottle. That's really quite irresponsible considering you would have no idea how your little baby may react to it.

Last edited by MadSkillzGal; 03-11-2004 at 08:38 AM.

Old 03-11-2004, 11:18 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommyof4 HB User

I have to say that we have done the same thing with Nesquick. We have also done carnation instant breakfast. When you have a baby that doesnt weigh 7lbs at 2 months old and that pattern follows them, the additives and colorings are the least of your worries. He is 21lbs 2oz now at 20 months old... It is still an issue and one that is more important than every little thing added in. I agree... Calories are calories when you are dealing with these issues

Old 03-11-2004, 11:19 AM   #9

kfs333 HB User

I was always told not to feed a child under 1 honey or corn syrup by my daughter's pediatrician because of risks.

Old 03-11-2004, 01:46 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfs333
I was always told not to feed a child under 1 honey or corn syrup by my daughter's pediatrician because of risks.
Yep, I've heard no honey because of the potential for botulism. And Karo (corn syrup) because mold spores can grow in it. Which I can see 'cuz I've had a bottle of corn syrup in my cupboard for years and years and years and I can't even remember why I bought it. Probably for caramel corn.

Old 03-11-2004, 03:02 PM   #11
Senior Veteran

californiasunflower HB User

I concur that infants under one year old cannot tolerate honey due to the bacteria. Also, cow's milk can cause the intestines to bleed in a child under age one. So glad that you are breastfeeding!

With regards to the breastfeeding question, I don't know about the honey. I recall that what I ate did affect the infant so I avoided caffeine, cayenne and spicy foods, junk foods, etc.

Enjoy rocking your baby!

Old 03-14-2004, 07:56 AM   #12

waffle13 HB User

I have to agree with the post above mine .. putting honey on a pacifier is NOT okay!! I can't believe that a pediatrician would say "yes, that's a good idea". Botulism can KILL the baby, there is no pediatrician who would recommend that idea. (THUMBS DOWN!!)

Old 06-21-2004, 08:13 AM   #13

Singleladypat35 HB User

Meg28 i saw where u said that Karo Syrup was harmful also ........the Doctor told me too it was ok to give to a baby for constipation, it work wonders for my babies....(when it was needed).But i know that honey is a no no. Chayce's Mom sumed it up perfectly. i couldnt said it better!

Old 06-22-2004, 01:45 PM   #14

Brooke~Lynn HB User

i was told no honey but that kyro syrup was fine as needed for constipation....but i bought it fresh and never let it set in the cabinent to long

Old 06-22-2004, 01:53 PM   #15

PeggyHarmon HB User

more people are allergic to bee stings than aware of...you can have a child allergic to bees and have a reaction >>>> Like I did to honey !!! My tongue swells, my throat tightens.. and yes there are other food allergies. I had a fit when I saw my sister giving her grandbaby table food at 3 mos to nibble on...please use common sense. Bacteria or not, its not healthy and its dangerous if they are allergic to bees, and one does not know this until they are stung by it or sucking a pacifier with pure honey.

Closed Thread