It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2003, 06:01 AM   #1

emisarad HB User
Talking 4 year old tummy ache -BETTER NOW!

My 4 year old little girl has been complaining of a tummy ache now for about 2 months. The only thing drs have done was put her on Zantac(no help) then Prevacid(no help) I took her off all meds and wondering if it is her stomache at all. She does constipate easy but is not now. When she has the pain it is right above her belly button. Tested negative for Urinary Tract Infection, no enlarged organs, no fever, no loose stools, no vomiting. She woke up this a.m. at 5:00 with a bad "tummy ache" . I thought maybe she was hungry but after her cereal she still hurt. She was moaning with a tummy ache a few minutes ago while watching t.v. then she fell asleep like nothing was wrong!?! Any suggestions? Thank You.

Last edited by emisarad; 01-22-2004 at 02:02 AM.

Old 12-15-2003, 08:23 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

TerryB HB User
Re: 4 year old tummy ache-Help

You could try cutting out all dairy for a couple days and see what happens. Many kids have undiagnosed lactose intolerance or possibly an inability to digest milk protein itself. My daughter has had both. She is just slightly lactose intolerant at this time so we only limit dairy products. Wheat can also be a problem for some kids but I think it is less common that the lactose intolerance and there is a blood test for it. We ended up seeing a Pediatric Gastroenterologist and it was really helpful. My daughter also gets anxiety-related tummy aches but it is just before something new or stressful like a new babysitter. My daughter is also 4.

Oh, BTW, my daughter would almost pass-out from fatigue and fall asleep. The pain would wear her out. I'm afraid most Peds don't take tummy aches too seriously because sooooo many kids fake tummy aches.

Best of luck to you. Terry

Last edited by TerryB; 12-15-2003 at 08:27 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-16-2003, 08:29 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB User

TerryB, my son also had to lay down when he'd get his bouts of stomach pain. He would cry in pain for about 10 minutes then he'd go and lay down. He'd sleep for an hour or so and as soon as he woke up he'd have a bm. Turns out his problem was also lactose intolerance. Thank you doctor but I diagnosed this on my own. We went many times to the doctor and even the emergency room one night when the pains were so bad. but in the end it was me who started my son on lactaid pills any time he had dairy. This started for him when he as about 6. Now he is 14 and can tolerate dairy a little better but still takes lactaid.

Old 01-22-2004, 02:00 AM   #4

emisarad HB User
Talking Re: 4 year old tummy ache-Help

Thank You for the info! I tried cutting out all dairy, EVERYTHING. IT WORKED!!!! She has NOT had a tummy ache for weeks and weeks! No more milk with cereal, milk with breakfast, milk with lunch, icecream, and cheese. Wow, I couldn't believe how many dairy products she was actually consuming. She drinks "SILK", soy milk and loves it! She also eats one yogurt a day and does well. Some day I'll let her try icecream again.
She can go to the bathroom without crying now, she hasn't been constipated and is feeling great. Thanks again.

Old 01-22-2004, 08:08 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB User

She doesn't have to be deprived of ice cream! My son loves these "ice cream" sandwiches made with tofu! They are called Tofutti's and I find them in my supermarket in the health and natural food section. Glad she's feeling better!

Old 01-22-2004, 01:10 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

PinkPiglet HB User

There is also soy ice cream. That's what my kids eat. As soon as I read your post I thought about the milk. I'm glad others mentioned it first.

Jeannie

Old 01-22-2004, 02:41 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

TerryB HB User

Lots of good tips here. I have another. Yogurt with "active" or "live" cultures. The cultures digest the lactose.

Closed Thread