It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2003, 06:16 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

TerryB HB User
Snot-nosed kid

Sorry for the humor. My 7 yr old daughter has had a runny nose for about a year. A short battery of allergy tests revealed no allergies. We were sent to an ENT who thought it would be cruel to do further allergy testing. After considerable pressure from me, he wrote an Rx for Zyrtec which has helped very little. The attitude of these doctors seems to be to just let the kid put up with the runny nose even though it is embarassing and interferes with school. She also has trouble during reading time in the evening because she has to stop and blow so much or she runs out of breath because it is hard to read out loud and breath through your mouth at the same time. I don't know if doctors are resistant to treat because the treatment options are not very successful or if they just think kids should toughen up and deal with it.

I'll probably call the ENT tomorrow and see if we can increase the Zyrtec dosage. Is there anything that I might be missing here? What would you do next?

Terry

Old 12-25-2003, 08:31 AM   #2
(female)

jacksinn HB User
Re: Snot-nosed kid

When you say a short battery of tests what did they do exactly? I went through this with my son- snot everywhere!! On the walls-furniture- poor kid always blowing his nose. the other kids calling him-tissue man. the ENT gave me a prescription for EMLA cream. It numbs the skin. I put it on the backs of his arms befor he was tested and he didnt fell the needles at all. They injected about 30 littles bubblesunder his skin and ina few minutes we knew what he was allergic to. In some cases it got red and in some it swelled a little. I hope this helps!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread