It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2004, 07:50 AM   #1

mom2taylor HB User
Unhappy Rash on 3 yr old

My 3 yr old started with a rash on one side of her belly that goes down onto the top of her legs. This stared a little after Christmas. I took her to the dr and he said it was an allergy and to try to figure out what it was and if it was no better to bring her back and that would mean allergy testing. The rash has now gone to her arms and I have taken away all the things I thought may be causing this but it just seems to be getting worse. How long should I wait before going bak to the doctor again and with the allergy testing, will it be able to help me identify the cause? I have not stated using any new soaps or detergents and she hasn't been eating anything different. I did get a new duvet for Chirstmas that she comes in contact with when she comes in bed with me but I have taken that away the day I saw the dr so the rash would have gone away not gotten worse. I just can't figure out what she could be allergic to! Is allergy testing on a 3 year old very difficult? Any insight would be very helpful!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2004, 02:42 PM   #2

PinkBanana HB User
Re: Rash on 3 yr old

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2taylor
My 3 yr old started with a rash on one side of her belly that goes down onto the top of her legs. This stared a little after Christmas. I took her to the dr and he said it was an allergy and to try to figure out what it was and if it was no better to bring her back and that would mean allergy testing. The rash has now gone to her arms and I have taken away all the things I thought may be causing this but it just seems to be getting worse. How long should I wait before going bak to the doctor again and with the allergy testing, will it be able to help me identify the cause? I have not stated using any new soaps or detergents and she hasn't been eating anything different. I did get a new duvet for Chirstmas that she comes in contact with when she comes in bed with me but I have taken that away the day I saw the dr so the rash would have gone away not gotten worse. I just can't figure out what she could be allergic to! Is allergy testing on a 3 year old very difficult? Any insight would be very helpful!
Your not supposed to have allergy testing for skin allergies, ever, even when it's cleared up. It's very inaccurate, the only kind of testing that can be used is a RAST test..where they test your blood.
Is she using a cortisone cream of any kind?? If not, go out and buy some Cortaid or something similar and try using that for a few days. If that doesn't work, or works somewhat, she may need a higher dose, like Cutivate(available through a prescription). Hot water can cause rashes, so try to minimize hot showers, if at all. In fact, minimize showers to every other day if possible, dry skin is a breeding ground for allergies. Use a gentle soap(I HIGHLY reccomend Cetaphil products, every doctor I know says to stick to that for skin allergies), and within five minutes of her getting out of the shower use a heavy moisturizing cream all over(again Cetaphil is great for this).
I don't know anything about young a child can take benadryl or some kind of antihistamine, but if she can daily, she should for the allergy. Also..a work on cortisone cream..use a little as possible and the lowest possible dosage..it can stunt her growth.
If you can, set up a humidifier near or in her room, this will help her skin to not dry out so much. If it becomes a longer term thing (the rash), you may want to consider getting rid of wall to wall carpeting& replacing it with hardwood floors. Generally if she has one allergic rash, shes in for more. Keep the house clean, try to vacuum and dust often, preferably when she isn't home.
There's a new cream called ELIDEL out there, it doesn't work for me, my skin allergies are severe, and it is made for mild-moderate skin allergies. It contains no steroids(!) and I've heard good things about it from those with mild to moderate skin problems.
Hope this helps if you have any more questions..feel free to ask me! I'm no doctor, just a girl who's dealt with skin allergies all her life so I've kind of become my own doctor..=)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2004, 05:43 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

Bruce HB User

Quote:
Another possibility is the rash could be caused by a yeast(fungi), especially if your daughter is not geting any better. OTC fungus ointments are available.

Old 01-21-2004, 10:20 AM   #4

mom2taylor HB User

How long should I wait before I take her back to the doctor? I gave her some Benedryl this morning as her rash spread onto and down her arm and seemed bothersome. Is it hard to distinguish between an allergy rash and a fungi?

Old 01-21-2004, 01:08 PM   #5

PinkBanana HB User

Quote:
How long should I wait before I take her back to the doctor? I gave her some Benedryl this morning as her rash spread onto and down her arm and seemed bothersome. Is it hard to distinguish between an allergy rash and a fungi?
some allergy rashes can be very stubborn to treat.
i struggled for a few years before i found a cream that works..my doctors gave up on me at one point b/c we had tried every single thing..then a little cream called psorcon came out & that did the trick.
i've never had a fungi rash but i know that allergy rashes come 2 ways:
1. The Eczema Rash
~Scaly, oozy, weepy, peeling skin, red, painful, itchy..pretty gross!
2. The Hives/Atopic Dermatitis Rash
~Bumpy, red, swelling, dry skin..with hives it's just in patches
if that helps you any bit for determining the kind of rash it is.
you may want to consult a dermatologist. all it took for me to get better was one visit 2 the derm., and she knew exactly what it was, and how to fix it. she even treated me for things i didn't know could be treated and improved.

Old 01-21-2004, 06:04 PM   #6
(female)

dquist091391 HB User

Try using a laundry soap that is perfume and die free
this helped my 2 year old who had the same problem
all free and clear tide also makes a tide-free. once all the bedding and her cloths are re-washed it should start to clear up.(hopefully).also pay attention to the types of carpet and room deodorizors you are using it could be bothering her.

Old 01-24-2004, 10:24 AM   #7

juleerae HB User

we are going through the same thing with my almost two year old daughter.. she devoloped a rash right after christmas on her thighs and arms.. two weeks later a horriable diaper rash looked unrelated but, didn't respond to nystatin... we were giving her a half dose of benadryl to help ease the ich on her arms and legs.. but, it got worse so we increased it to a full dose and then she devolped hives with swollen joints.. the poor babe was misserable... the doctors have done blood work but offer no explination except mabey it was a response to a virus... or a reaction to the benadyl.. she has been off of it for 5 days now and she still has the hives but the swelling joints has gone away....???? if you goole children and rashes ther is a lot on the web.. maybe you could find a picture of a your babes rash... what i have learned is that if it was a food allergy the rash would disappear with in 24 hours of last exposure... if that helps? i don't remember where i read that .. soo i guess i would take it with a grain of salt...
i understand your frustration completly!!! i wish i had some answers as well!!! we have not found any miracle creams.. we have washed everything with a free detergent.. limited baths... we too are at our wits end.. good luck.. if your babe is still suffering i would have her re-checked by the doctor.. they might be able to offer some relief..

Last edited by juleerae; 01-24-2004 at 10:54 AM.

Closed Thread