It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2004, 06:58 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Hope2Heal HB User
5 year old severe bloody nose

HI there

I am a teacher and recently a child in my class had a nosebleed for no apparant reason . He was sitting when it happened and was not picking it. It was severe. There was blood everywhere. I am trained in first aid so knew what to do, but i was disturbed by how much blood he lost. I would estimate about 1/2 -cup of blood total. It poured from his nose like a waterfall and we could not stop it. It bled nonstop for 30 minutes. The parents came and said he had only one nosebleed ever and that was a few days before. Since the incident he has had 2 more(at home) but not as severe. Is this normal?

thanks

Old 01-20-2004, 09:39 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

maybe helpful HB User
Re: 5 year old severe bloody nose

My daughter had HORRIBLE nosebleeds for a year, when she was about 4. They always seemed to come in groups, so I just figured that once it was injured, it was re-opening and bleeding again, even if all she did was bump it or rub it. Hers came up all of a sudden like that too.

However, after the year went by, and she had several in a week, I took her to the pediatrician, who IMMEDIATLEY had her blood drawn. She said, as I still remember "Its probably nothing, dry air, irritation, hormones, BUT lets just be safe". They tested her for lekuemia, as her Doc. said its a common sign.

Thank goodness she was fine, and eventually the nosebleeds stopped. Shes 7 now and only gets one or two a year.

Good luck to you, and this little boy!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2004, 04:16 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

Bruce HB User

You can easily start a nosebleed by inserting a finger or device into the nose, traumatizing the mucosa.

What works the best is to apply ice wrapped up in a clean was rag and keeping the child's head tilted backward. Once the bleeding stops, and a cup full of blood is too much, carefully insert a piece of cotton into the nose.

Their is an abundant supply of blood in the nose.

Avoid asperin and ibuprofen, because they both increase the bleeding time.

If the child continues to have a bloody nose, see your doctor. The clotting process involves several substances, including platelets. Vitamin K could be helpul. Remember, the total volume of blood is much less then an adult.

Old 01-21-2004, 08:15 AM   #4

luvmyboys HB User

My brother used to get really bad nosebleeds that wouldn't stop for anything. He always had to have it packed and cauterized in the ER. They also always said never to lay the head back because then all they do is swallow it. If they swallow too much they will throw it up. They were told to pinch right at the base of the hard part of your nose. Not to pinch it shut just pinch at that bony part of the nose.

My son bumped his nose one year ago on Thanksgiving and bled pretty bad. He has had nosebleeds ever since. Every time he laughs really hard or bumps his head or face or if the weather does some drastic humidity change. We use saline nasal spray and vaseline to keep it moist in the winter time. It really helps.

Old 01-21-2004, 03:48 PM   #5
Veteran

momof3mjt HB User

I don't know where you are from, or what your weather is like...but my kids get bloody noses when the weather is dry. Hot or cold. And YES they have lost what seemed like a lot of blood at times! I took them to the doctor and he told me when the air is dry...the insides of their noses dry up. If the membranes are right next to the lining of the inside of the nose it is VERY easy to get a nosebleed just from bumping it. Also, if it is hot..then they will swell a little and this will make it easy for nosebleeds too. I was told though if it went on for a long time, or if there seemed like a lot of blood that just kept gushing out..then I could take them to the hospital and they would cauterize it to get it to stop.

I noticed it more with my kids when we had wood heat. We don't get them as much now. Thank goodness!!

Lindy

Old 01-21-2004, 04:56 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

Bruce HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyboys
My brother used to get really bad nosebleeds that wouldn't stop for anything. He always had to have it packed and cauterized in the ER. They also always said never to lay the head back because then all they do is swallow it. If they swallow too much they will throw it up. They were told to pinch right at the base of the hard part of your nose. Not to pinch it shut just pinch at that bony part of the nose.

My son bumped his nose one year ago on Thanksgiving and bled pretty bad. He has had nosebleeds ever since. Every time he laughs really hard or bumps his head or face or if the weather does some drastic humidity change. We use saline nasal spray and vaseline to keep it moist in the winter time. It really helps.

I should clarify what i said about tilting the head backwards. I meant to say just tilt the head where the bleeding stops, not forward, becauae id tilted forward the bleeding would get worse (gravity).

Old 01-24-2004, 10:53 PM   #7

coley91 HB User

My son started having nose bleeds at five as well. The doctor said it was from the dry cold weather. We have been putting vasaline in his nose ever since, and it has totally helped. I just use a q tip... and put a little in each nostril. Works wonders.

Old 02-06-2004, 06:51 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Hope2Heal HB User

tHANKS FOR the replies everyone. He has been fine since. Its just real scary to see that much blood from a little kid. I appreciate everyones input.

Old 02-17-2004, 04:31 PM   #9

coley91 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by coley91
My son started having nose bleeds at five as well. The doctor said it was from the dry cold weather. We have been putting vasaline in his nose ever since, and it has totally helped. I just use a q tip... and put a little in each nostril. Works wonders.
Since I wrote this... we have found out my son has a blood disorder called ITP... it is where the blood doesnt clot. He had nose bleeds for months, and I didnt realize his platelette count was going down. On Monday night I was helping him into his pjs and saw tons of bruieses and looked as though his blood vessles had all popped in his legs bottom and face. Rushed him to ER... and they admitted him into the childrens hospital. He got treatment... and his platlette count went up to 28, it was at 3. The normal is 140-400. He was a sick little boy. We are not at home, and he is on bed rest. If he bumps himeself, he could bleed internally. We go back Friday and are hoping for a high platelete count. So... if your child has nose bleeds a lot, or bruising easily. Get them checked out. Doesnt hurt. I learned my lesson.

Closed Thread