It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2004, 10:01 AM   #1

selene27 HB User
Unhappy 7-month old with SEVERE diaper rash

My 7-month old little girl has a SEVERE diaper rash on her little bottom. the bottom half of her vulva and the inside half of her cheeks are flaming red, and whenever I have to change her diaper she screams in pain. I've tried Triple Paste, Desitin, A&D, cornstarch. I've been using just warm water and a soft cloth to wipe her since it happened, but it's been about a day and a half and she's in agony. She won't even sit up because of the pressure it causes on her raw bottom All of this is making Mommy upset, of course, I hate to see her in pain! Anything else I could do, short of taking her to the md?

Old 01-23-2004, 10:19 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommyof4 HB User
Re: 7-month old with SEVERE diaper rash

My kids were notorious for getting yeast rashes. Traditional treatment will only make them worse. I used Monistat from home and Nystantin ointment from the Dr. If you dont want to take her in, using the Monistat may help.

I would take her in for a diagnosis just in case but at this point, it sounds more like a yeast rash than a diaper rash. Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2004, 11:25 AM   #3
Inactive

rrsmom HB User

I have found the best thing for diaper rash is air. I let my kids go diaperless for as long as possible - even just fifteen minutes here and there helps. Yes, it can be messy sometimes but it really does work. I also have had to use monostat before for really bad rashes, that was my dr.'s suggestion. But I'm telling you - airing it out is the best thing!

Old 01-23-2004, 01:39 PM   #4

HeatherW HB User

I agree with mommy of 4. I also have a little girl and she had a rash lik eyou describe and the day care provider mentioned to me that it may be a yeast infection. Traditional diaper rash meds will only make them worse. Try monistat or Gynelotrimine. Once I started using them it went right away but keep up treatment for at least two weeks. Just like on mommy when she has antibiotics the little ones will also contract a yeast infection sometimes. HeatherW

Old 01-23-2004, 03:09 PM   #5

selene27 HB User

thanks so much for all your suggestions. I ended up taking her to the doctor, who told me to air her as much as possible, use desitin and cornstarch when i change her, and she gave me lotrimin to use 2 times a day. Poor baby, if I even say the word diaper she goes pale and begins to tremble!

Old 01-23-2004, 03:35 PM   #6
Veteran

ABC~Mom HB User

i use vaseline on my three month old and she has not had a spot of rash yet...it works really well because it water proofs their little bottoms and keeps a barrier between skin and urine. so maybe put on the other treatments and put vaseline over it to hold the moisture out. good luck

Old 01-23-2004, 05:12 PM   #7

misty24 HB User

my son had a bad diaper rash once to where it was bleeding. the dr also said to let air as much as possible and to put a light layer of palmex and then sprinkle with cornstarch. my mother who is a rn also suggested that when changing him to use warm cotton balls and within a week and a half he was completely healed. i truely know were you are coming from it would take two people to change my son with his diaper rash. it would just make me cry and his dad would have to leave cause he could not handle hearing him cry with such pain. good luck and i hope she gets better soon.

misty24

Old 01-23-2004, 06:03 PM   #8

ozark HB User

the only thing i'd be careful about is, if it is yeast as it seeems since the dr told you to do lotimin, yeast loves cornstarch...i'd do without the starch and use the lotrimin by itself.good luck

Old 01-29-2004, 01:51 PM   #9
(female)

frosty87 HB User

My son use to get like this when he was little. The only thing that helped was air and vaseline. He is allergic to everything and I think some of the severity was allergic reactions either to what he was eating or the diaper or the other ointments.

Old 01-29-2004, 04:52 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

harvest46 HB User

Yup, my son had that when we went travelling to Asian Countries since it is very wet. So, it never really healed up until we got back home. I was told that, severe DIAPER rash problems can also be a sign that his gastro-intestines is probably infected or something because he has to be constantly having diarehha or something for that to happen.

Old 02-05-2004, 08:12 AM   #11

pdn HB User

hi iam glad your baby is doing better!!!I always had nystatin cream on had for my daughter she always got ear infections and then would get yeast infection and it was good to clear it up right away the minute the bumps started.
did the desitin work? that used to make it worse for my girl.
And i had never heard of lotrimin is that prescribed?

Old 02-06-2004, 01:24 PM   #12

PinkBanana HB User

well i'm no mother but i know i had severe diaper rash when i was younger.
nothing worked-not cloth diapers, no creams, no meds, nothing. ended up having to be potty trained before i was one..i just couldn't take it.
so maybe you should try cloth, if that doesn't work..well..your baby may not take to diapers like i didn't.

Old 02-06-2004, 08:09 PM   #13

KathrynB HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by selene27
My 7-month old little girl has a SEVERE diaper rash on her little bottom. the bottom half of her vulva and the inside half of her cheeks are flaming red, and whenever I have to change her diaper she screams in pain. I've tried Triple Paste, Desitin, A&D, cornstarch. I've been using just warm water and a soft cloth to wipe her since it happened, but it's been about a day and a half and she's in agony. She won't even sit up because of the pressure it causes on her raw bottom All of this is making Mommy upset, of course, I hate to see her in pain! Anything else I could do, short of taking her to the md?
Hi. I would also try soaking her in a bathtub with baking soda. This always helped my kids.

Old 02-15-2004, 07:44 PM   #14

vapudelko HB User

The best thing I ever used with my daughter is a product called Balmex. You can find it in tubes or in large jars. It doesn't have all those irrating ointments in it that smell horrid and hurt like hell when applied. It's main base is from a wax product, and it basically coats the skin and has a waterproof barrier formed where it touches the diaper area. The only time my daughter had any diaper rashes when when i had run out and needed to get more. After a rash has started, it only takes a day or so for it to actually show a noticable change.

As another tip, and I know it sounds crazy, but I always kept a silver spoon in my wipes container. After cleaning the fanny, I would use the cool rounded back of the spoon to spread the blamex on the little butt. It made for a smooth, even application and kept my fingers clean as well. After use, simply wipe with a clean wipe and toss in the dishwasher.

Old 02-17-2004, 05:32 AM   #15

Buffalosnow HB User

My kids had severe diaper rash when they were both sick. I used "Gold Bond Powder" and then applied Desitin (not the everyday Desitin - the original). The powder might sting a little at first, but it really helped. My kids actually had their skin peel off after the rash was cured. Good luck!!

Closed Thread