It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2004, 05:13 AM   #1

mccastle HB User
Talking Anyone have toddlers with enlarged tonsils?

noticed Saturday after peeking in son's mouth to look at molars that he is cutting and it looked like his tonsils were enlarged. It looked like there was hardly any space between his tonsils and the uvula or whatever the think that hangs down at the back of the throat. They did not look infected but it was a little concerend. I just had my tonsils removed a month ago so maybe I am a little paranoid. It might explain why he has been snoring off and on. Can hay fever cause them to be swollen? Ds has a doctor's appt at the end of April to catch up on a shot so I will have the peditrician check it out. I am just curious if anyone else has toddlers with on and off swollen tonsils and what does the doctor say about them?

TIA

Carrie

Dylan 07/03/02

Old 03-30-2004, 05:47 AM   #2
(female)

badkat HB User
Re: Anyone have toddlers with enlarged tonsils?

When my son now 9 was a baby his tonsils sound like your son...he got tonsilittis one time about when he was 2 and for a whole year!!! every month we were at the hospital/ped.. until he was almost 3yrs old to have them removed.... his infection once he got it, it never cleared up... AWEFUL!!! Not to scare you, but the ped told me that because of the size ---made the severity of the infection worse?? and we couldn't get them cleared up..

Hope this won't be your case!!!

Michelle

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2004, 06:59 PM   #3
(female)

princessputter HB User

yes... my sons tonsils are huge too...ENT wants to remove them and my sons adenoids.. how ever im not very keen on the idea... my son has never once had a sore throat.. or str ep or anything.... ive read for hours on this topic... and the tonsils are supposedta shrink... as the child gets older..i have been battling this in my mind... cuza my sons ear prollems.. and he has had alot of... URI.. i just might agree to the adenoid removal.. and go from there...the biggest reason im draggin my feet on this is....1 like i said never a throat infection.. and 2 my son is mod.. to servrely autistic and the aftercare from healing from surgury is going to be diffacult... any advise would be helpful ..

They saw a child "in a world of his own". I see the most the most brilliant star. They saw a child "who may never speak". I see a gift that didn't need words. They saw a child with "limited possibility". I see a child, my child, who can soar past the sky.

mommy to Ryan and countless foster children...

Old 03-30-2004, 07:13 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommyof4 HB User

My son was 2 and a half when he had his tonsils, Adnoids, and a lymph node removed. He has SID so we had a battle on our hands. Luckily, he recovered quickly. We were also given Tylenol with Codeine so he slept most of the first day or two.

The interferred with his abillity to swallow, talk, and breathe. That is why we had them removed. Sometimes the tonsils will carry and infection when the rest of the body seems healthy. This is because the tonsils and adnoids are also a part of the lymphatic system. We have had no problems since their removal and I am glad we went ahead with the surgery. Good luck to you

Old 03-31-2004, 03:27 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

MandyAnne26 HB User

It is very common to have large tonsils, my doctor said that most kids start off with large ones and then grow into them. If you think there is cause for concern than ask your doctor about it. but i know my doctor looks at the kids tonsils at every check up. I don't know if having tonsilitis makes a different in the size, my son never had it and he had to have his removed at 7 because they were so big (they were literaly touching). At your son's age i wouldn't give it any thought really, he's got lots of time to grow into them. just make sure your doctor is aware of the size and make sure they are checked at every check up to make sure he is growing into them. If he needs them out at a future date it is not the end of the world, my son recovered quickly (tonsils and adenoids removed) with no complications and he started eating better (i would imagine it would be hard to swallow with tonsils as big as his were) and sleeping better (his were so big they were causing problems, snoring really badly), and he doesn't get sick more than before or anything like that.

Old 03-31-2004, 06:29 AM   #6

Katiebaby HB User

i've recently been told i need to have my tonsils removed as i keep getting septic tonsilitis, my doctor said first of all that they wouldnt need to come out bcause they were only small but my ENT said yesterday that he'd take them out asap. Altho your sons are quite large it doesnt necessarily mean they will casue him trouble and i think that they do get smallar as we get older and grow into them, im 20 now and ive only recently been having trouble with mine. But hes only young so maybe as he gets a bit older he'll grow into them a bit more, id do what mandyanne26 suggests tho as tonsilitis isn't nice and could possibly be avoided if you do get them checked!

If anyone knows anyone thats had theirs removed in adulthood id appreciate some advice coz im quite scared about the aftermath pain at the min!! i've got my own post on here which i postd earlier today!!

thanks

Old 03-31-2004, 06:38 AM   #7
Inactive

MadSkillzGal HB User

My son had enlarged tonsils and adenoids and I had them removed when he was about 7 years old. He suffered severely with asthma and everytime he got a cold he would get a severe sore throat too, to the point he couldn't breathe or eat. He was sore for about a week, but he managed to eat an icecream a few hours after surgery although he did have quite a severe asthma attack whilst under anaesthetic. It was a worrying time but I'm glad I did it with hindsight because whenever he got a cold thereafter it was just a sniffle. Apart from that, his terrible snoring stopped. He used to snore so loud it used to drown out the TV and often wake him up.

Closed Thread