It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2004, 04:56 PM   #1
(female)

Chellaine HB User
Question 4 yr old with hip pain

Hi all,
My 4 yr old son has been complaining of his left hip hurting for a while now, about a month. I suspect it was hurting even longer than that because of the way he was complaining about it, I thought it was something else(he would say "my butt hurts" til finally on day, about a month ago I told him to point to exactly where it hurt and he pointed to his left hip). When I explained that it was his hip he pointed to and not his butt, he now tells me if it's his hip that is hurting.
My doc did an x-ray last week, came out normal, so he just blows it off now. I feel very strongly that it is not normal for a 4 yr old child to be complaining, daily, of one sided hip pain(if it were both sides, I would suspect growing pains). His only other symptoms are daily stomach pain, around the belly button area, and periodic vomiting.
Has anyone experienced this with thier child? If so, what came of it?
Please reply.
Thank you in advance and take care,
Chellaine

Last edited by Chellaine; 04-04-2004 at 04:59 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2004, 05:20 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Katyana HB User
Re: 4 yr old with hip pain

Perhaps see another peadiatrician and get another opinion. It does seem strange for a 4 year old to constantly be complaining of hip pain, with daily abdominal pain and vomitting. It might not be "bone pain"; it's possible that his problem is elsewhere and just radiating to the hip area. Alot of problems in the body present themselves through radiating pain elsewhere in the body. A hip xray is not conclusive of anything other than that the hip itself is normal. That's not to say that there isn't a problem elsewhere in the body, especially since he has daily pain and vomitting.

He's young and you need to keep up on his electrolytes. He could get dehydrated very easily. Make sure he is drinking enough fluids.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2004, 09:44 AM   #3
(female)

twest HB User

I've heard that pain around belly button and nausea could be appendix. Supposedly the pain starts at belly button and moves to right side of belly button. Not sure if this would cause hip pain as well, but it's worth looking into. Good luck!

Old 04-05-2004, 10:32 AM   #4
(female)

Chellaine HB User

Thank you both for replying, I appreciate it.
The doc doesn't seem to think it is his appendix, but then he said it is a progressive thing and we would know sooner or later. Another symptom I forgot to mention is he has night sweats, they just started in the last 6 months or so, so badly that in the dead of winter, when it was really cold in the house, I had to strip him down to a t-shirt and let him sleep like that, but he still sweats, just not as badly than with pajamas on.
I do keep him hydrated. He drinks all the time. He is currently taking Risperdal and that causes him to be a little more thirsty than usual so he does drink more. He has always drank alot, always seemed like he was so thirsty so I always keep a cup of juice or a small bottle of water available to him.
I was told that the Risperdal has nothing to do with his stomach or hip pain, and those are not listed as side effects for the drug.
Well, I will just keep digging and try to find an answer.
Thanks again for the replies.
Take care,
Chellaine

Last edited by Chellaine; 04-05-2004 at 10:33 AM.

Old 04-05-2004, 11:13 AM   #5

kfs333 HB User

Have pediatrician look into bursitis. My nephew had a problem with the same thing and wasn't allowed to walk for a couple of weeks.

Old 04-07-2004, 05:30 AM   #6
(female)

little_miss HB User

this is how my friends son started off too without the stomach pain and is now going into hospital he has perthes disease and needs hip replacement.

hope everything goes well for you.

Old 04-10-2004, 12:24 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

jerrie97 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_miss
this is how my friends son started off too without the stomach pain and is now going into hospital he has perthes disease and needs hip replacement.

hope everything goes well for you.

Legg-Calvé Perthes disease is ruled out through an x-ray of the hip.

Maybe since disorders directly affecting the hip have been ruled out, maybe he's having referred pain. Someone already mentioned appendicitis, and it doesn't really seem to be that, so maybe another disorder affecting the stomach/digestive system is causing it. Has he had blood tests done? Have you seen an orthopedist or gastroenterologist?

Last edited by jerrie97; 04-10-2004 at 12:25 PM.

Old 04-10-2004, 04:30 PM   #8
(female)

Chellaine HB User

Dakota was diagnosed last week with Celiac Disease. We have to wait a couple of weeks on the gluten-free diet to see if the hip pain goes away, if not, then we know it's not from that.
Thank you all for your replies.
Take care,
Chellaine

Closed Thread