It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2004, 06:34 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

heddy73 HB User
Question Speech delay caused by enlarged tonsils

My 5 yr old has a speech dalay of about 1 year or so...He recieves speech therapy 2 times a week at his preschool. He also has allergies and the last time he saw a ear,nose and throat doctor she noticed he has large tonsils. She thinks it may be possible that the tonsils are causing the speech problem.He doesn't have throat problems but she noticed they are just big. Has anyone had this problem?

Last edited by heddy73; 04-08-2004 at 06:35 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2004, 10:50 AM   #2

kelplus2 HB User
Re: Speech delay caused by enlarged tonsils

I have a 6 year old, who didn't have a speech delay but saw a speech therapist due to not being able to say his sounds correctly. He has overcome this after about 2 years (through his elementary school, so only saw her during school months). His tonsils are huge and as I type we are getting a referral (love insurance co's) to see an ENT. I have a feeling we will be spending some time at home this summer recovering from a tonsillectomy. They don't hurt him, so he says, but he's had them like this for so long, he probably doesn't know what it feels like for his throat to feel good. I hope your little one does better.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2004, 12:28 PM   #3
Veteran

momof3mjt HB User

[removed] I am truly amazed at the speech improvements for some of them after a tonsilectimy (sp) and having their adnoids removed. Also, having tubes put in if needed has amazing affects also.

Good luck
Lindy

Last edited by Moderator BAC; 04-09-2004 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Do not identify yourself as a professional. This is a PEER Support Board only.

Old 04-12-2004, 05:53 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

MandyAnne26 HB User

My son had his tonsils and adenoids removed when he was 6 or 7, he didn't have any serious speech problems before but there was a noticable difference in how he spoke. His tonisls touched they were so big.

Closed Thread