It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2004, 07:12 PM   #1

connie1790 HB User
Help my baby has had rsv twice ,any info on long term effects????

Hello my baby girl has had RSV virus twice in one month, the first time was severe and she was hospitalized in ICU. She alomst died but they did wonders in there. She has recently got it for the second time and is now recovering from it, now the doctor is talking about the long term effects this could have on her like asthma, and lots of other things.Im going crazy trying to research all this.I just wondered if any one out there has been through this or has a child that has asthma from rsv or other things that the rsv caused. Please if any one has any insight on this please let me know. Thankyou. connie1790

Last edited by connie1790; 04-28-2004 at 07:14 PM.

Old 04-28-2004, 08:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommyof4 HB User
Re: Help my baby has had rsv twice ,any info on long term effects????

Sadly, I have 2 children with asthma who had RSV as babies. My 4 year old had it at 2 months and has been on nerbulizer treatments on and off since that time. She takes nightly asthma and allergy medication.

My 21 month old son had it and was hospitalized for it. He too has been on neb treatments and takes medication. Luckily, my 4 year old is getting better controlled so she doesn't deal with it as often.

I truly hope that your daughter will be fine. I wish I had a better story to tell with my own children but don't lose hope. Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2004, 12:09 PM   #3
(female)

Danitom HB User

I have four kids.Only One of the four had RSV and does NOT have asthma.I do in fact have a child with asthma who did NOT have RSV and asthma doesn't run in our family. Asthma is something that with a good doctor, a few trial and errors with meds, and patience and diligence can be controlled. I am actually grateful that is the worst of our health issues. GOOD LUCK to you!

Old 05-03-2004, 06:01 AM   #4

Gatormom HB User

My granddaughter had RSV at 11 weeks - in ICU and very, very sick. Today she is 20 months old and healthy as can be. When she gets sick it tends to hit her lungs - she's had a couple of trips to ER's and needed a breathing treatment when she had a cold. Her pediatrician is reassuring that as she is getting older, bigger, and more resistant she can fight these bugs off more.
I do know that they recommend flu shots for little ones who get respiratory problems - at the beginning of flu season.
Isnt' there also a vaccine for RSV?
Good luck and I hope your little one stays healthy!

Old 05-03-2004, 11:27 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

There is a series of shots to help prevent, reduce the affects of RSV; however, they are very very expensive and insurance will only cover them if the child is a preemie or has a chronic condition. These shots are given during RSV season - once a month during the first year, sometimes second year of life.

Old 05-03-2004, 08:24 PM   #6

connie1790 HB User

Thankyou so much to all of you that has responded to my story, im dealing with a cough that will not go away right now. Im giving it one more week then i will be calling the doctor. Im afraid that the cough she still has is a gonna be problem. Any how thankyou so much for all your input. connie1790

Old 05-11-2004, 04:33 AM   #7

Beth* HB User
Wink Re: Help my baby has had rsv twice ,any info on long term effects????

My son who is now going to be 4 had rsv when he was 2. It was pretty severe and he was hospitalized for a week. The cough lasted forever!!! I remember them telling me that the cough could last for up to a year later!! Yes, he also has asthma too...although he had it before rsv. I have to say that he in general was sick alot. I also have a 10 year old and he was never in the hospital as a small child while my younger son has been admitted several times. This past February we decided to do tonsils and adnoids out and it has helped tremendously!!! He hasn't been sick since (of course he has a slight cold/fever now, lol), and I have definately noticed that his neb treatments/asthma has gotten so much better!!! He used to get a cold/cough and I would just know that we would soon be in the hospital. These days...he hasn't even had a cough/cold till now and hasn't needed his neb treatments at all. Definately, a great sign of better things to come! Good Luck and hang in there. My opinion is that most kids do out grow this stuff, asthma included (hopefully)! I know that in my case my little guy does seem to be making major improvements as he gets older! It gets better and you will get smarter and stronger! Take care and best of luck!

Old 05-24-2004, 08:17 AM   #8

connie1790 HB User

Well here is an update on my little girl , Danielle is seeing the doctor today to discuss her having asthma. she has been coughing since the rsv and that has been a couple months now. she just had a head cold and it caused all kinds of problems so she is now getting albuteral treatments every 4 hours and we will see what else todayafter her appointment. Thanks again for all your stories this really helped. connie1790
[REMOVED]

Last edited by Moderator BAC; 05-24-2004 at 09:34 AM. Reason: No Personal Contact Information -Please read and follow our rules!

Old 05-28-2004, 07:28 AM   #9
(female)

moody318 HB User

My son was a premie, received the shots to prevent RSV the first year but got RSV anyway. He was hospitalized for a few days. The next year, he got RSV again and was again hospitalized but for 5 nights this time. He does take flovent to help prevent wheezing when he is sick and they feel he probably has asthma. I think the kids who have asthma get the RSV settling in their lungs, not the other way around. I have never been told of any long term affects of have RSV. I think the virus just affects the kids with the asthma and lung problems more.

Closed Thread