It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2004, 02:09 PM   #1

beebsqtip HB User
4 year old & poor eating habits, what to do?

I have a 4 year old. She if a very, very picky eater. She eats a lot of junk food and the healthiest thing's she will eat is rice (alone), yogurt and peanut butter and bread.
She won't eat things that has more than one thing in it unless its peanut butter bread. For example rice if I add some meat in there or vegs she thinks its gross and won't eat it any more. She hardly eats meat unless its chicken nuggets or turkey bacon. She likes things real simple.
She is very tiny already and my concern is that she won't grow out of this. I tried eliminating junk food to get her to eat healthy food or try new things but, she will literally starve her self. Sometimes I get lucky if she eats anything! - Even if she only eats donuts all day!
I don't know what to do. I tried giving her multi-vitamins (childrens) to supplement anything that she is not getting but it often gives her a tummy ache. So I elimated that. Is there a certian supplement she can take that won't hurt her stomache?
I am really worried.
She seems to be really active and she's growing normally according to the doc.
Any suggestions will be helpful Thanks!

Last edited by beebsqtip; 05-07-2004 at 02:13 PM. Reason: spell check!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2004, 09:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommyof4 HB User
Re: 4 year old & poor eating habits, what to do?

Have you tried supplementing her with Pediasure? My son was failure to thrive when he was younger and is still a very picky eater. We found out that the #1 reason for young children to be picky eaters is silent reflux. The only way to know if that is going on is to either put the child on a medication like Zantac and see if that helps or to have a swallow study done. When is reflux is under control, he eats better.

Some children don't do well with Pediasure but will go for things like Carnation Instant Breakfast. If you have exhausted all of these then I would get a referral to see a dietician about the problem. You might also want a referral for an Occuapational Therapist who can do feeding therapy with her. Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2004, 08:38 AM   #3

beebsqtip HB User

Thank you, I will try this out. I tried pediasure in the past and she doesn't like it, but I will try carniation instant breakfast. I didn't think of that one!

Old 05-10-2004, 09:58 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User

Hello, My son's a picky eater too. You just have to keep trying different things. Also, look at the texture of the food she's eating...Is it crunch or soft. Most kids do not like thier food mixed together. There's nothing wrong with plain rice. How about plain pasta? Have you tried raw veggies like peppers, celery, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, and carrots? Try cooking meats various ways. My son only likes his meats broiled. For a while he only liked his salmon broiled to, but now I've got him eating salmon cook in the traditional Chinese manner. How about unsweetened apple sauce or unsweetened apple sauce with cinnamon? Sometimes kids don't like meat, because it's too tough and hard for them to eat or it has sauce or gravy on it.

Closed Thread