It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2004, 05:03 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User
What can premature birth cause?

I'm asking on my own behalf here, because I was a "preemie", born a month and a half early by C-section and I was wondering if premature birth can cause things like poor memory/brain development, thyroid trouble, or a lousy immune system.

Those three things are things I have (well, except the thyroid thing - not sure about that yet) and are also things that no one else I've ever known has/had. I'm wondering if premature birth can cause these things to go wrong.

Dark Stranger - is too paranoid

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2004, 06:15 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommyof4 HB User
Re: What can premature birth cause?

Basicaly, when a baby is born premature... Everything is premature. My 22 month old deals with motor problems, motor planning problems, oral motor problems, sensory problems, coordination problems, memory problems, etc. All are neurological and all are associated with his premature birth.

Some babies come through fine while others deal with lifelong issues. HTH

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2004, 09:47 PM   #3

Broadwaygirl03 HB User

I know what you ware talking about. I was 6 weeks early and the 'small' twin. My mom brags I didn't even need oxygen so I suppose I never had any problems because everything was developed, most babies don't have that luxury. So I suppose it depends on what you're 'equipt' with at birth. I mean, a friend of mine is due on mid July but her baby is already like 7 pounds so if he's born early, I'm pretty sure he'll be set to go.
~Into the Woods

Old 05-28-2004, 03:41 AM   #4

flauracat HB User
Question Re: What can premature birth cause?

My eldest dd was 4 weeks early and has ADHD but otherwise she is as bright as a button.
My middle dd was 6 weeks early and has alot of Gastro-intestinal issues and urinary issues.Whether they are caused by prematurity or led to her being prem.is open to debate.
My youngest dd was 3 weeks early and has no problems at all.
I guess is what i am saying is prematurity can lead to problems but mostly in childhood .
Its an unknown factor.

Old 06-09-2004, 05:41 PM   #5
(female)

moody318 HB User

My son was 27 weeks early and also has Down Syndrome. His only health problems relating to being premature is his lungs. When he gets sick it settles in his lungs and causes wheezing. He uses a nebulizer when needed and Flovent during the winter months. We were very lucky. He also has a extreme case of reflux but I have never read anywhere that was an outcome of being premature.

Old 06-10-2004, 07:03 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Dear Maggie HB User
Sometimes from a chemical exposure of parent

There is a commonly used chemical in cleaning and degreaser products and also a chemical the gulf war vets were exposed to: 2-butoxyethanol that is a teratogen besides also causing the 'gulf war syndrome' symptoms

This means that if a parent were strongly exposed to this chemical before a child was conceived, that child could have birth defects, but even if none were apparent, there should at least be premature birth. I suspect the more exposure, the more harm and the sooner a child would be born, leading to the extreme ... of miscarriges or still births.
Quote:
Your comments: "I'm asking on my own behalf here, because I was a "preemie", born a month and a half early by C-section and I was wondering if premature birth can cause things like poor memory/brain development, thyroid trouble, or a lousy immune system.

Those three things are things I have (well, except the thyroid thing - not sure about that yet) and are also things that no one else I've ever known has/had. I'm wondering if premature birth can cause these things to go wrong.
- Dark Stranger
May I ask why you were birthed by C-section? Did your mom's water break & you had to be born within 24 hours, or was there another reason? Now, these things you mention ARE some of the 'gulf war syndrome' issues or Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (the same thing, by the way)

Old 06-10-2004, 11:28 AM   #7
(female)

kenziesmom HB User

I am not sure about long term adult type problems with prematurity but I do now that common problems with preemie children alot have issues with adhd and memory also Issues with digestion depending on how premature because of the fact that when they are born they are not developed all the way and it can slow down or cause problems with it because of lack of development so my son who was born at 33 wks has adhd issues, he used to have bad reflux as a baby but has outgrown that, he is cross eyed with a lazy eye and has to wear bifocals and is now finally down to 2 hrs a day of patching due most likely to lack of oxygen because his lungs weren't fully developed, slow growth, but he is very smart, he also has issues with stimulation in other words when he was really little he had a hard time with bright lights, crowds and noise. His attention span is low and he still doesn't do well in situations with large crowds though now he gets overstimulated and tends to go nuts.
My neice was born at 30 weeks and only weighed 17 ozs at birth and she has more issues including very poor growth she will be 8 in july but is only a little bigger than my 3 yr old she also has lots of gastroinstestinal issues and has learning problems as well I am not sure about the memory part of it though. How small were you at birth sometimes this makes a difference although not always many people assume that my sone did well because he weight 6 lbs when 7 wks early but they new he would be early and I was pumped full of steroids to try and get his development sped up but it really only affected his weight and he had a lot of other issues at birth and spent awhile in the nicu on oxygen. As several people have asked though alot depends on why you were born early and how you did at birth as that can effect you brain (memory etc) if you needed oxygen and were deprived of oxygen at all.

Closed Thread