It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2004, 11:58 AM   #1

Sierra0721 HB User
Help! My 21 month old is having temper tantrums....

Hi All,

I need some help. My 21 month old has been having some very bad temper tantrums, that just started about 3 weeks ago. My husband and I have tried very hard not to spoil him, and we have been very strict with our parents so that they don't spoil in any way either. My husband has a very bad temper, but he doesn't show it in front of him. Is it possible that he has inherited this from him, and just doesn't know how to control it yet. We do spank him when he has one of his fits, but it isn't helping. I am not sure how to help him. I know he might be too young to understand, but on the other hand, I want to continue spanking him because I don't want him to think it is ok for him to do this when he is able to control it. Has anyone ever had this problem with their child? Does anyone have any tips on how I can help him?

Sierra

Last edited by Sierra0721; 06-07-2004 at 12:00 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2004, 01:25 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User
Re: Help! My 21 month old is having temper tantrums....

Hello, Here's the set of " Tantrum Rules" that completely and quickly stopped the tempertantrums for us ....
1. Never, ever give in to the child....If you give the child what they were having a tantrum over, then they have won and learn that having a tantrum will give them what they want.....
2. Invest in a good playpen and use it as a safe form of "time out." Be sure that there is nothing in the playpen, not even toys, when you use it for time out. I remember when I first used the playpen as time out...My hubby teased my son about being in jail, so I had to pull him out of the room. I felt guilty about going into another room and leaving my son alone, so he would know that he was being ignored and the tantrum was getting him no where. I did keep an eye on him though, without letting him see me. That was the last tempertantrum he ever had. I returned when he was done. I also made sure that he knew he was in time out, because of the tantrum....
3. If it happens in a store, pick up the child and go home. You can always come back later without the child, so the child sees it as punishment for having a tempertantrum....
4. This really pertains to #3, try to see a temper tantrum coming before it starts. This means to figure out what is causing the tantrum first. Then you try to avoid it if you can. An example is that I would pat my hand on my son's mouth the minute he would start to yell/skream, then I'd pat mine to show how funny it sounds, then we'd both laugh. I knew that waiting in long lines at a grocery store is very difficult on young children, so I'd have my son sing the Alphabet Song. (It was just long enough to get through the line, required concentration on my son's part, and made everyone in line smile.)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2004, 05:08 PM   #3
Inactive

SnowyLynne63 HB User
Re: Help! My 21 month old is having temper tantrums....

My little sister used to throw tantrums & would pass out.The Dr.told my Mom to walk out of the room when she would start,It worked.When they don't have an audience they stop..........

Closed Thread