It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2004, 07:14 AM   #1
(female)

twins2sets HB User
underarm rash in 10 year old

Hi. My daughter just turned 10. She has developed an itchy rash in her armpits. It's like little bumps, not real red unless she scratches it, but very itchy. I thought of heat rash but she's never had it before, and it's not even hot out. Then I thought maybe she is starting to get hair under her arms? Could this happen from that? I did see a couple of hairs, but I'm not sure if they are normal hairs that everyone has when they are little or the start of puberty. I should tell you that she is VERY VERY small for her age (44 lbs and 48 inches), so I wouldn't think she would be anywhere near puberty! No other signs. What do you think? Thanks!

Old 09-27-2004, 11:29 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

cazajacks HB Usercazajacks HB Usercazajacks HB User
Re: underarm rash in 10 year old

Hi, my 10 yr old suffered something similar last yr. She had red lumps/spots under her armpits only. When they itched they really really itched till they almost made her cry, mainly when she got hot. but other times you would not know they were they. I felt they looked similar to chickenpox but they were not.
I took her to the docs who said they were 'Moluscum'. If you look under a magnifying glass (docs words) the spots look like a doughnut, they are round with a funny centre, they are contagious and spread over the trunk. They last for about 6 months, my daughter now has scars all over her armpits the same as chickenpox scars, deep pits, apparently this is typical of muluscum i just wished the doc had warned me about this, i would not have let my daughter scratch herself, she ended up with them over her chest and back. I am only a mum so don't take it that this is what your child has, it is just that the armpits is exactly where my childs started. i was told they are mainly caught in swimming pools and that is exactly where my child had been. Look it up and see if it sounds like it. Good Luck
Cazajacks

The Following User Says Thank You to cazajacks For This Useful Post:
Zara27 (07-28-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2004, 07:46 PM   #3
(female)

twins2sets HB User

Thanks for your response. Actually, I hadn't thought of that, ugh. We had a bunch of that at our house for a year or two, with my other two daughters, one of them actually got it everywhere INCLUDING her FACE! They're awful. I guess the reason I ruled it out is that it was under her arms (we never had it there)) and under both arms equally. Oh I hope it's not molluscum again, just as soon as we shook the thing!!!!

Old 09-28-2004, 02:56 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

cazajacks HB Usercazajacks HB Usercazajacks HB User

Hi i only thought of the moluscum as this is the only place that it started on my daughter, it was only under the armpits for ages, it took a few months to spread elsewhere. I only to her to the doc as last time she got a rash it was just a bit lower down from her armpit and slowly spread a little bit round her back, after motherinlaw telling me she had Flea bites, then ring worm then scabies i was so cheesed off with her comments we went to the docs and it was actually shingles, i was shocked as she is only ten, but she was a bit tetchy and she did cry a bit with the itching, i thought the shingles had come back when her armpits erupted but it was certainly moluscum as we still have it 9 months on????? Try not to let her scratch as my daughter is very scarred now.

Caz

Old 09-28-2004, 07:09 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

siren1024 HB User

It could also be yeast. Yeast love warm moist areas. My mom just had a yeast infection under her arms and all in the creases under her breasts.
DD born 3/24/2005

Old 09-30-2004, 11:45 AM   #6

imdunn HB User

Does your daughter use deodorant yet? (Yes, many girls that age do) - if it's something she's just recently started using, it could be an allergic reaction to that - or if she's not completely washing the soap from under her arms.

Of course, what the ladies before me responded with makes perfect sense as well Just thought I'd give another option.

Good luck!

Old 10-01-2004, 06:28 AM   #7
(female)

twins2sets HB User

Thanks everyone!

No, she doesn't use deoderant. No smells yet probably because she is so tiny.

But good news! The rash has gone away! It took a couple of weeks. I swear, she gets these mysterious rashes all the time that come and go...they all seem different too. I am tired of going to the doctor for them and leaving with them telling me to put Bacitracin on it or take Benadryl. Anyway, the day that the underarm rash started to go away she started getting a rash around her mouth! Completely unrelated, this one is red and patchy and itchy. Her cheek was swollen and we took her in and they said it was an allergic reaction. Never had allergy problems before, and we can't figure out what caused it!

She's the only one of my kids that always gets poison ivy too! Poor thing.

Closed Thread