It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2004, 11:05 AM   #1
(female)

sarasota2004 HB User
Unhappy 4 year old Screaming her bum hurts!

I don't know what to do.
The last time she had a bowel movement was 3 days ago. Last night, she complained her bum hurt. She woke up at 4 a.m. this morning crying saying her bum hurt. I looked at her pullup (not pooping on potty yet) and it was jelly-like diareah-like teaspoon of poop.

All day today she is complaining, saying it stings, hurts, she is crying and I don't know what to do.

I gave her a bath in baking soda, change her frequently, put rash cream on her (although she has no rash and her bum hole looks normal ...sorry to be graphic).

She is laying on the couch very upset. I don't know if it's diareah and she's scared to go or what. Should I call the doc?

Old 10-28-2004, 11:32 AM   #2

Broadwaygirl03 HB User
Re: 4 year old Screaming her bum hurts!

She may be constipated. Give her doctor a call and ask what laxitives (sp?) you can give her. Her tummy probably hurts her if she is constipated. I woudln't let it go much longer without some type of intervention, but her doctor will know what to do. As an adult, I had surgury and that was a side effect of an important medicine and let me tell you, it was by no means pleasent. I can't imagine being only four and not knowing about why your bottom hurts. Hope she feels better :-)
~Into the Woods

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-28-2004, 11:34 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

siren1024 HB User

Well, could she have eaten anything irritating? I know that I'm a spicy foods lover and sometimes gas and poops will sting something awful. I heard OJ can do it too, in little ones. Constipation will also cause rebound leakage that looks like diahreah. I'd imagine that could be hurting her and that if she's backed up, it could be causing painful pressure, too. Plus, the jelly like stuff sounds like constipation stuff. My friend's son had this and constipation can cause small painful internal rectal tears that are probably pretty painful.

I'd take her to the doctor or call and see if they can suggest anything to you or if they'd want to see her.
DD born 3/24/2005

Last edited by siren1024; 10-28-2004 at 11:36 AM.

Old 10-29-2004, 03:20 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

MandyAnne26 HB User

feed her some high fiber foods (not really high obviously, you'll just upset her stomache), fruit, whole grain breads, make sure she's getting enough to drink, and as the others said stay away from acidic foods, spicy foods, apple juice and orange juice are really bad for this. It sounds as if she's constipated, i went through this with my daughter a while back, except she was about 20 months old. The runny poop is most likely just stuff that is managing to get past the blockage. What my doctor told me to do was to use a supository, it worked, it was a very hard thing to do though, she hated it and i hated giving it to her. I'm not sure any meds she could take would help at this point, you can ask the pharmasist what is alowable for a 4 year old. I would suggest the supository though, i know with my daughter i had to hold her bum cheeks closed so she would push it out, like i said it was very hard, but so was watching her scream in pain for 2 days. In the future i would try giving her whole wheat bread instead of white if you are giving her white, try to stay away from a lot of cheese and other foods that are known for causing constipation, make sure she's drinking lots of water and juice in a day so she's not dehydrated. Also, if this becomes a habit for her take her to the doctor to see if there is any other reason for it and anything specificly that you can do to prevent it.

Old 10-29-2004, 04:25 AM   #5
(female)

healthy2b HB User

I can tell you from experience "take her to the doctor".
The stinging is probably from those little cuts and tears from straining. It hurts!
My son is currently going through this. Gastro dr. said worst thing is kids remember this and start withholding and that makes it worse. My son now sits on the toilet 30 minutes after meals whether he has to go or not, plays a video game or reads etc...to learn to relax and NOT RUSH while sitting there. Too many times children are in a rush and let out that first bit to relieve that feeling and then think they are done and stop. That leads to constipation.
Children should have in grams of fiber, their age plus 5. I'd add 1-2 oz. of prune juice, increase water, exercise etc.
The jelly like stuff is probably like what someone else said, there is blockage in there and that's leaking around it. I had to do the enema first with my son, and now we are watching his diet, etc.etc...currently he's on miralax for a few months now and we are tapering off in a 4 week period and seeing how he does and have added the prune juice..
Hope your daughter gets better. Let us know how she is!

Old 10-29-2004, 05:45 PM   #6
(female)

sarasota2004 HB User

Just to give all an update. Thanks for your responses...
I called the doctor and they told me to put her in the tub and tell her to poop. if that doesn't work to give her a suppository.

the bath didn't work. then i told her we'd have to go to doctors if she didn't poop. she kept stalling and changing the subject. as soon as i said we are going to the doctors and i picked her up.... she said all right........and BOOM!

SHE POOPED A BIG ONE!

she bled a little but the poor thing was soo happy it was over with. now, i'm monitoring her and using the doctor excuse for her to keep pooping.

thanks for the support.

Closed Thread