It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2004, 12:25 AM   #1

lopezfamilycasa HB User
Exclamation 3 year old vomiting same time each night

My 3 year old son has been vomiting at 2 am, for 3 nights in a row. He has had diahrreha for about a week. I have been trying to keep him on the "BRAT" diet (only things like bananas, rice, applesauce, crackers), and lot's of fluids to keep him hydrated. During the day he acts completely normal except for the diahrreha and a small diaper rash as a result. He plays and laughs - is not lethargic or tired. My 6 year old had a stomach virus which made his stomach hurt and gave him diahrreha a few days ago and it lasted a few days. He never threw up or felt nauseous.

Why is my 3 year old vomiting at the same exact time each night? If he has a stomach virus, which would be my diagnosis, I know what to do, but the vomititng at 2 am for three days in a row is really weird to me. The second time I thought it was a coincidence, but an hour and a half ago (at 2 am), he did it again.

Thanks in advance for any advice/ideas/suggestions, etc.

Old 11-07-2004, 05:35 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: 3 year old vomiting same time each night

i think the first thing to do would be to make an appt with his pediatrician.He or she might be able to offer you some possibilities as to just why this is occuring.It really is odd that he vomits at the same time every night.Marcia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2004, 10:11 AM   #3

richardsushi HB User

What time is his last feeding before he goes to bed?.. has that been the same time everynight also?.. also has he been introduced t0o any new feeds or medications over the pas t 3 days?.
richardsushi

Old 11-07-2004, 11:25 AM   #4

lopezfamilycasa HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelbad
i think the first thing to do would be to make an appt with his pediatrician.He or she might be able to offer you some possibilities as to just why this is occuring.It really is odd that he vomits at the same time every night.Marcia
I'm going to wake up at 1:50 am tonight and watch him to see if it happens again. I'm wondering if maybe it's just that time of night when his stomach is digesting and it get's upset? But his stomach must digest the food he eats during the day and he never throws up during the day.

It's just SO weird. If it happens again tonight I'll be calling his pediatrition first thing that morning.

Old 11-07-2004, 11:35 AM   #5

lopezfamilycasa HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardsushi
What time is his last feeding before he goes to bed?.. has that been the same time everynight also?.. also has he been introduced t0o any new feeds or medications over the pas t 3 days?.
richardsushi
My 3 year old usually has dinner anywhere between 5 pm and 7 pm (with the average being 6 pm, of course.) Unfortuantly I can't recall what times we ate dinner the past few nights, but they were within that time frame. Sometimes he'll also have a light snack up to a half hour before bed.

The first night it happend I wasn't surprised. He had eaten a lot that day and I thought maybe he had just eaten too much. It wasn't any kinds of new foods, just lots of foods. Lots of grapes, goldfish crackers and other fare common to kids that age.

The second night I kept his diet bland almost all day and he didn't eat too much. He threw up again.

On the third night (last night), he had a bland diet most of the day except at lunch he did have a couple chicken nuggets and french fries. That's not what he threw up though. For dinner he had just a little peanut butter on white bread and his snack was a little applesauce and a graham cracker. (The applesauce and graham cracker seemed to be what he threw up from what I could tell.)

I have not used any new products on him or in the house. He hasn't been taking any medications at all.

Any ideas?

Old 11-08-2004, 11:01 AM   #6

lopezfamilycasa HB User

Just an update for anyone that cares or needs advice on a similar situation.

I kept him on a strict BRAT diet yesterday and started giving him Pedialyte. Last night he didn't throw up and his diahrreha isn't as bad. I'll continue the Pedialyte and BRAT diet until he makes a full recovery.

Old 11-08-2004, 11:27 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

DS had a stomach virus last summer and every time I'd see improvement and try to feed him solids -- he'd hurl over my shoulder. Stuck with pedialyte for a couple more days and white grape juice, BRAT diet and he was fine. Didn't eat as much as he usually did for a few days, but finally stopped barfing on us.

Old 02-02-2005, 07:24 AM   #8
(female)

nutmeg123 HB User

before we adopted my daughter, she began vomiting at bed time each night..after about 2 weeks her foster mother went in to catch her putting her fingers down her throat..causing the vomiting..At first it seemed she was crying (age 2 at the time) and accidentally threw up..but got attention from foster mom (rocking babying etc..) she liked it I guess b/c it continued until FM caught her doing it! lol..not that it would be what your son did, if the diet change helped..but a whole different angle on it!

Closed Thread