It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2004, 11:38 AM   #1

brandiworth HB User
Question 5 month old nasal congestion

My son just got over having bronchitis. I had to take him back to the Dr. several times and the last time he was at his worst. He was wheezing, had nasal congestion, and a real bad wet cough. Well.....he gave it to me. I was sick for about a week. And now - I think I gave it back to him. He has nasal congestion so bad that it is keeping him up at night. I tried to put him at an incline but he moves around so much he ends up flat on his back again. This is how the bronchitis started off the last time. I hope he isn't getting it back again. I called the Dr. and she said to get some nasal spray stuff. A friend said that it doesn't work and that it only upsets the baby and makes it worse. Im going to give it a try and see how it goes but being a new mom - Im not "experienced" whatsoever so any advice from "experienced" moms would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!!

Old 11-15-2004, 11:47 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User
Re: 5 month old nasal congestion

We've been using the dreaded bulb syringe (booger sucker) and saline spray since DS was about 4 weeks old. He doesn't seem to mind the booger sucker, but HATES the saline. We usually use it before bed or before feeding him, so he can breathe. Another thing we've done when he's congested is giving him an evening bath before bed -- turning up the thermostat, closing the bathroom door to make it warm and steamy seems to help loosen things up.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2004, 01:37 PM   #3

kwim HB User

My son is 4 months and has been congested for a few weeks. He hates the syringe and saline but it has worked. The steam in the bathroom works and you can also try putting a warm washcloth over his nose, that seems to loosen everything up so that he can breathe easier. Good luck!

Old 11-15-2004, 02:21 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

We used to have to hold down DS to suck out his nose -- but with teeny tiny babies they don't know enough to open their mouths to breathe, so he kept waking up. Amazing how much gunk that tiny little nose can hold. But it was necessary -- he slept and ate better and we slept better. Now at 17 months he usually giggles when we suck out his nose -- then we have to pretend that he sucks out our noses. He still HATES the saline though, but he isn't upset for too long.

I'd wondered about using a humidifier or vaporizer to help, but his baby book warned about using them. Said if not properly cleaned could get moldy and if you don't use distilled water, the humidifier could send out mineral particles.

Old 11-16-2004, 03:23 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kiera1595 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratatosk
I'd wondered about using a humidifier or vaporizer to help, but his baby book warned about using them. Said if not properly cleaned could get moldy and if you don't use distilled water, the humidifier could send out mineral particles.
That was going to be my suggestion. They work really well. Filling the air with lots of moisture breaks up all that stuff in their noses/sinuses. And since it runs all night it works better than the steamy bathroom. You do have to be good about cleaning it, but they usually come with directions. Just a bit of vinegar to clean, I just use tap water. Hope your little one feels better soon.

Old 11-16-2004, 11:47 AM   #6
(female)

BYHOPE1113 HB User

My daughter has sinus problems as well and I found something that helps a little bit better than just squirting the saline up her nose. It's a sinus irrigator from SinuNeb (not the medication, I've never used that) You put the saline in the bottle and then attach the tubing to the air compressor (same as the nebulizer) The mist is a little finer than the steady stream of saline and she thinks we are playing. I try to make a game out of it sort of like playing with a water gun. Granted she still doesn't really like it when I get it in her nose but she doesn't fuss nearly as bad this way. I am sure we waste a little saline this way but it really has helped us.

I paid 19.95 for two of the irrigators. You will have to have your own tubing and air compressor to make is work. You can read more about it at www.sinuneb.com

Old 11-16-2004, 12:27 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Do you need a prescription? What do you put in the nebulizer? Do you use saline or some sort of prescribed antibiotic?

Old 11-16-2004, 01:17 PM   #8
(female)

BYHOPE1113 HB User

I just use Saline in the irrigator.

They have a program for antibiotics but my doctor said she didn't think that part would work very well for Karly.

You have to have a prescription for the antibiotics but not for the Sinus Irrigator.

I called the telephone number on the website and sent them right out. You don't have to have a prescription for the Sinus Irrigator.

Closed Thread