It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2004, 05:03 AM   #1

brandiworth HB User
Question teething and nasal congestion

My 5 month old has been having some nasal congestion. I have been giving him some saline drops and sitting in the bathroom running the hot water for about 15 min. I also think he is teething. He just moans when he is biting on a teething ring or a cloth. I also feel a little tiny hump on his bottom gums. Could the nasal congestion be from the teething? If so, how long will the congestion last? Until the tooth breaks through? Thanks for any advice.

Old 11-17-2004, 07:06 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

besafe20 HB User
Re: teething and nasal congestion

I have heard about cold symptoms being linked to teething. You may just have to wait and see. My son has had teething symptoms since he was 3 months old and now he is 9 months old and still has no teeth! You just have to wait it out. In the mean time you can try a humidifire or other means to relieve the congestion. Have you read "What to expect the first year"? It offers advice about congestion in babies.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2004, 07:18 PM   #3
Inactive

Soulcatcher HB User

Babies are teething before they even come out of the womb and yes the nasal problems can definitly be from teething. There isn't much you can do. You can try putting some ice cubes in a clean sock for him to chew on. I used to go to the health food store and get these teething biscuts, I think they were ginger-something but they didn't break up like the ones at the store. I don't know if he sleeps well but you can always put a rolled up towel under his mattress to prop it up a bit on one end so his head is up a bit and it should help any pressure in his head. The worst are the eye teeth. It is sad that you can't really do much. I hope he feels better soon. They teeth up to two years old, they adjust after a bit.

Old 11-18-2004, 06:34 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

The experts will say that there's no correlation; however, I've heard from people who say their children not only get nasal congestion, but have ended up with ear infections. Could just be coincidence. DS had nasal problems when he was teething, but it was also during the winter when most kids have colds.

Closed Thread