It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2004, 05:00 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,005
Bell99 HB User
How long is too long for a cough?

Also are there any cough meds that work? I have a 5 year old who has had a "productive" cough for going on 3 weeks now! Problem is she can't cough the mucus up?
I took her to the Dr. last week and he put her on three day Zithromax which has done nothing? This leads me to believe it's viral.
Now my 9 year old has this and I feel like I am losing my mind!
I have tried Every Vicks Product , including the cough patch and vapor rub,
Vaporizer with Ecupliptus Oil
Every Robitusion on the Market for Chest conjestion
Not to mention a prescription Histex HC!!
HELP

 
Old 12-07-2004, 06:26 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,402
Kiera1595 HB User
Re: How long is too long for a cough?

I'll start by saying I don't know. Last time my son had a cough for a few weeks they too gave him Zithomax, but I think it was for 5 days. His cough lasted for about 1 more week after that medicine was gone. It finally went away right when I was about to call the doctors office all freaked out!

I saw an interesting thing on the news the other day. They said that "cough" was the #1 reason that parents call the doctor. They also said that a huge study was just done about cough medicines and couch syrups. Half the group was given medicine. The other half was given sugar syrup. Both groups had the EXACT same result and said that it helped the cough. The conclusion...that coughs just get better over time and they aren't sure if medicine helps at all.

If it is really phlegmy sounding, take her back to the doctor and see if there are any tests they can do. I'm sure they've listened to her lungs to make sure that they sound clear..but see what else they can do. Try to be patient...coughs are tricky..even for doctors!

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 12-08-2004, 07:30 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,005
Bell99 HB User
Re: How long is too long for a cough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiera1595
I'll start by saying I don't know. Last time my son had a cough for a few weeks they too gave him Zithomax, but I think it was for 5 days. His cough lasted for about 1 more week after that medicine was gone. It finally went away right when I was about to call the doctors office all freaked out!

I saw an interesting thing on the news the other day. They said that "cough" was the #1 reason that parents call the doctor. They also said that a huge study was just done about cough medicines and couch syrups. Half the group was given medicine. The other half was given sugar syrup. Both groups had the EXACT same result and said that it helped the cough. The conclusion...that coughs just get better over time and they aren't sure if medicine helps at all.

If it is really phlegmy sounding, take her back to the doctor and see if there are any tests they can do. I'm sure they've listened to her lungs to make sure that they sound clear..but see what else they can do. Try to be patient...coughs are tricky..even for doctors!
Update... Went back to the Dr. today. This time I went to her pediatric Dr. When this started it was Thanksgiving so I had to do a "walk in emergency care" .
As I sat in the waiting room I heard lots of kids with this exact same cough. Good news it's not whooping cough. He put her on Orapred for three days. I am bracing myself for a long 3 days. She took this when she was 3 for croup and it was not fun.

 
Old 12-08-2004, 07:36 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Oak Ridge, TN, USA
Posts: 648
hrtofluv HB User
Re: How long is too long for a cough?

Hey - remember this is just advice. Asthma is a likely candidate. We went through this every fall/winter several times. Orapred is a steriod they give to asthamatics to help control their flareups. If the cough gets worse, especially at night - then you might want to see a pulmonologist or allergist that deals with asthma kids. It wouldn't hurt to get it ruled out, but would be detrimental for your child if it continues to go un-diagnosed. Also - my pediatric pulmonologist states that a child over the age of 18 months cannot get the croup - it is asthma.
Hope you take this as the friendly advice it's meant to be!

 
Old 12-08-2004, 08:15 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,005
Bell99 HB User
Re: How long is too long for a cough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrtofluv
Hey - remember this is just advice. Asthma is a likely candidate. We went through this every fall/winter several times. Orapred is a steriod they give to asthamatics to help control their flareups. If the cough gets worse, especially at night - then you might want to see a pulmonologist or allergist that deals with asthma kids. It wouldn't hurt to get it ruled out, but would be detrimental for your child if it continues to go un-diagnosed. Also - my pediatric pulmonologist states that a child over the age of 18 months cannot get the croup - it is asthma.
Hope you take this as the friendly advice it's meant to be!
I have Asthma so I am sure that isn't what she has. It's a wet cough "productive". I had this same thing last month and they put me on predisone and it knocked it right out of me, two Z packs didn't touch it sigh
I am getting to the point I want to keep my kids home in a plastic bubble. We are going broke on co pays and prescriptions the last two months.

 
Old 12-08-2004, 08:21 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Oak Ridge, TN, USA
Posts: 648
hrtofluv HB User
Re: How long is too long for a cough?

Then the only other advice I can offer is a prescription cough medicine that has codeine to knock it out.
And if you can find someone to make the plastic bubbles for kids - let me know!!!

 
Old 12-08-2004, 08:34 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,005
Bell99 HB User
Re: How long is too long for a cough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrtofluv
Then the only other advice I can offer is a prescription cough medicine that has codeine to knock it out.
And if you can find someone to make the plastic bubbles for kids - let me know!!!
You too! Wonder if a big zip lock bag would work?
I am about ready to take my youngest out of preschool.
My medical bills are more than what I pay for her to go there. I no sooner get her well and send her back and bam it's something else!
I got codeine cough meds. I only give it at night. If she sleeps all day I am in big trouble all night

 
Old 12-08-2004, 08:48 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Oak Ridge, TN, USA
Posts: 648
hrtofluv HB User
Re: How long is too long for a cough?

Yep - my son ended up in preschool for only 3 months and then I had to yank him. Luckily I found a grandma and pop in town that only had 2 other kids she kept. So he stayed with her until he went to K - and that was a whole other story. Having the prinicipal ask the teacher if she needed to intervene because of his tardies (from sleepless nights) and his absences from all his problems and doctor's appt!!! The teacher was behind me 100%. It wasn't until the end of Nov of that year that I finally got him into the pulm. and GI doc and got him diagnosed. Come Jan - the school had to sit down with me and IEP form plan for his issues.
Now we didn't have a single tardy and only 2 absences this school year so far - it's been great with the right docs and meds!

 
Old 12-08-2004, 08:54 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,005
Bell99 HB User
Re: How long is too long for a cough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrtofluv
Yep - my son ended up in preschool for only 3 months and then I had to yank him. Luckily I found a grandma and pop in town that only had 2 other kids she kept. So he stayed with her until he went to K - and that was a whole other story. Having the prinicipal ask the teacher if she needed to intervene because of his tardies (from sleepless nights) and his absences from all his problems and doctor's appt!!! The teacher was behind me 100%. It wasn't until the end of Nov of that year that I finally got him into the pulm. and GI doc and got him diagnosed. Come Jan - the school had to sit down with me and IEP form plan for his issues.
Now we didn't have a single tardy and only 2 absences this school year so far - it's been great with the right docs and meds!
Glad he is doing better now. Finding a good Dr. that listens is not easy. I developed adult asthma. I have had my son checked and he doesn't have it either Thank God My battle is dealing with this constant onslaught on parents sending their sick kids to school... If I hear "it's just alliergies" from one more parent I am going to scream!! What is interesting is during the summer when both my kids are home we are all healthy hum????
If I take my daughter out it will be because they are not enforcing the sick rule. Day after day I see them letting kids hacking their heads off walk right in the class room.
Consider whooping cough is going around and the lack of flu shots you would think they would crack down on this more?

 
Old 12-08-2004, 09:07 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Oak Ridge, TN, USA
Posts: 648
hrtofluv HB User
Re: How long is too long for a cough?

About the time I yanked mine out was because the one of the teachers couldn't send her son to school because "he had been up thowing up all night with a fever" so she brought him to preschool with her. Uh - duh?!!! The director made her send him home - the dad showed up to get him as I was coming to visit for lunch and he was so mad that he had to take off work. Well - better than infecting all the kids whose parents would then have to take off work later in the week. I just don't understand people who would rather infect the world than to take a day off work for themselves or a sick kid. Yet - those of us with kids that pick up every bug have to take off work when ours comes down with the same thing (cause our kid ends up with worse problems). Just NOT FAIR!!!!

 
Old 12-08-2004, 09:16 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,005
Bell99 HB User
Re: How long is too long for a cough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrtofluv
About the time I yanked mine out was because the one of the teachers couldn't send her son to school because "he had been up thowing up all night with a fever" so she brought him to preschool with her. Uh - duh?!!! The director made her send him home - the dad showed up to get him as I was coming to visit for lunch and he was so mad that he had to take off work. Well - better than infecting all the kids whose parents would then have to take off work later in the week. I just don't understand people who would rather infect the world than to take a day off work for themselves or a sick kid. Yet - those of us with kids that pick up every bug have to take off work when ours comes down with the same thing (cause our kid ends up with worse problems). Just NOT FAIR!!!!
This has become my biggest pet peeve in the world!!
What parents don't think about is these kids may have elderly sick people in their homes, new born babies etc..
Last year the day of my daughters music program I heard a Mom in the hall talking about how her kid had 103 fever so she gave her motrin because" she really wanted to go to school" HELLO so does my kid.. We have all kinds of stuff going around where I live , Lice, Whooping cough, the flu is starting. We were lucky to all get the flu shot but that still doesn't protect against other flu strains.
I swear I am starting to develope germ OCD I carry hand gel every where. I have a heart condition which is not good if I get sick. I can't take any Sudafed, Benadryl, Dextromathropan NOTHING so I need to be extra cautious, another aspect of sending your kids to school sick parents don't take the time to thing about

 
Old 12-08-2004, 10:19 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Oak Ridge, TN, USA
Posts: 648
hrtofluv HB User
Re: How long is too long for a cough?

I have to admit I think I really am OCD - the washing and the gel are with us everywhere. Luckily my 2 both got the flu shot too. I didn't, but as long as they are healthy - I'm ok with that!
Praying that you and yours stay healthy this flu season!

 
Old 12-08-2004, 10:21 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,005
Bell99 HB User
Re: How long is too long for a cough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrtofluv
I have to admit I think I really am OCD - the washing and the gel are with us everywhere. Luckily my 2 both got the flu shot too. I didn't, but as long as they are healthy - I'm ok with that!
Praying that you and yours stay healthy this flu season!
Thanks and the same to your family. I have had it up to here with illness

 
Old 12-08-2004, 02:03 PM   #14
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 41
trian1 HB User
Re: How long is too long for a cough?

I have just been through this with my 15 month old. He had a very nasty sounding cough for a month.

The first doctor visit she said he had bronchitis, perscribed Zirthomax, the second he sound "wheezy" so she perscribed Albuterol.
Then last week, we went back yet again, because he did not respond to the Albuterol. She did an xray of the chest to make sure there was no pneumonia (sp??) and it was negative. She said that we should try a nebulizer with Xopenex. I guess the other meds need to circulate through the body, and with this treatment, it would go straight to the lungs.
It worked like a charm. The cough is now completely gone.

 
Old 12-08-2004, 02:09 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Oak Ridge, TN, USA
Posts: 648
hrtofluv HB User
Re: How long is too long for a cough?

If the Xopenex worked for him - then I would say you are close to your asthma diagnosis.
I would suggest you seeing a pulmonologist to get him tested.

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Coughing ALL night long AlisaBeth General Health 14 01-07-2009 06:45 AM
Cough for long period NEXTMAN2 Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD 1 08-27-2008 07:25 PM
how long does it take for lisinopril to work karkar52 High & Low Blood Pressure 3 07-27-2008 12:28 PM
24 hour ph test have any one took it jnewsome Acid Reflux / GERD 15 10-08-2006 04:45 AM
New, is it really asthma? bluedog139 Asthma 20 07-12-2006 08:40 PM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:35 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!