It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2004, 03:46 PM   #1

KayKay1173 HB User
My son borderline diabetic

Hi all,

We were told this past October that my son was borderline diabetic. My husband has adult onset type 2 diabetes and been taking meds for 4 years now. The doctor that saw my son said that he's also obese. He's 9 years old and he weighed 118 in October and found out two days ago that he's up to 123. My concern with this is that I cannot get him to eat healthy foods. He will eat fruits and will drink juice, but he will NOT touch a vegetable. He eats some meats, although not much, but I guess some is better than nothing. Does anyone have any information to share with me? Maybe a different approach as to getting him to eat vegetables? He tried a green bean recently and I thought he was going to throw up. It wasn't even a whole green bean, just a tiny bite. Any information anyone has would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!!

Kay

Old 12-10-2004, 02:00 PM   #2

KayKay1173 HB User
Re: My son borderline diabetic

Anyone with any advice on how to get kids to eat vegetables?!?!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-11-2004, 05:06 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

MandyAnne26 HB User

Well, you need to make it so it's not a choice. Veggies only.....no junk, no sugar (no juice with a lot of sugar, no candy, etc). He can have his choice of raw or cooked veggies and you can buy some low cal dips for him, other than that i would give him no choice. No white breads etc. Encourage him to eat healthy. To keep him from feeling completly deprived i would allow him to pick out one or two treats per week...that is if he eats what he is suposed to. Find veggies that he likes, maybe he doesn't like green beans, but maybe he likes salad, or maybe fruits. Don't give him the option. I guarentee you the gagging or whatever when he ate the green bean was just to make you feel guilty for making him eat it.
You should take him to a dietician to see what foods, exercise plans would be best for him. It is extremly important that you get not only his weight, but his sugar intake under control so that he doesn't develope diabetes. I'm not sure what his activity level is, but if he's watching a lot of tv or playing video games than that needs to be stoped, limit him when it comes to activities like that. Try and get him envolved in some sort of activity, sports, martial arts, even just walking and going to the park, sledding and skating now that winter is here. Do things like that as a family. Also, do not buy junk food...do not have it in the house at all. If he feels everybody is eating the same as him it won't be so hard, but if he sees mom and dad eating junk and he can't have any he will feel punished or that there is somethign wrong with him.
At his age he can start to understand the health risks of being overweight, and developing healthy eating patterns so that he doesn't end up with health problems.
Explain to him that it's for his health, that you just want him to grow up to be healthy and that you don't want anything bad to happen to him because of his eating habbits.
I think the most important thing like i said is not to make it a choice. Serve him healthy meals for breakfast, lunch, supper and snacks, there are no other options, if he wants a small treat once or twice a week (because healthy isn't necessarily about giving up, it's about moderation, we can eat what we want, but the bulk of our diets needs to be healthy) than he will have to eat his meals. You can give him the choice of which veggies, they can be raw or cooked with a low cal dipping sauce....but that's as far as his choice goes. My kids have always known since they were about 3-4 that if they don't eat their meals they don't get the kind of snacks they want, but their snacks are usually healthy things, they don't usually have chips, chocolate or candy, as a treat they will occasionaly. They have never really shown a strong dislike for veggies so i haven't had to try too many tricks to get them to eat them.
Good luck with your son.

Old 12-11-2004, 01:44 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

valleygurl HB User

Hi There, I agree with the previous post in the fact that with your son being so young and having a weight problem compounded with the possibility of him becoming a juvenile diabetic, you must take control now. I know that it will be soooo very hard for him to understand at his age why Mommy is changing his diet so drastically. Soooooo my suggestion to you is to go to a book store and look in the cookbook section. I know that you will find a cookbook there that has KID FRIENDLY recipes for veggies and other sorts of healthy foods that are easy to prepare and TOTALLY enticing to children..... even if they dont like eating their veggies!!! I would bet that you will have him eating healthy in no time! Good Luck, ValleyGurl

Old 12-11-2004, 08:27 PM   #5

Lakers2005 HB User

First of all, what is the kid eating?

White bread, candy, fruit juice, chips, cakes, sugar cereal, soda??

Get rid of this stuff immediately.

You need to stabilize his blood sugar and get him to eat whole foods. Also, he should eat a small, healthy meal every 3 hours to stabilize insulin output. Try to get him to eat 5-6 small balanced meals per day. This will help get rid of excess bodyfat. He should also pick up the physical activity.

Here is a great example for a breakfast:

1/2 cup whole rolled oats (quaker old-fashioned oats)
6 egg whites
1 tbsp natural peanut butter

Try to combine protein and low-glycemic carbs each meal.

Hope this advice is helpful.

Closed Thread