HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Children's Health (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/childrens-health/)
-   -   7 year old with breast lump??? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/childrens-health/232242-7-year-old-breast-lump.html)

dea4 12-11-2004 09:47 AM

7 year old with breast lump???

HI, my 7 year old daughter said she had a hard spot on her right breast, upon examining it, it is a lump and the nipple sinks in, she says it hurts if she pushes on it. What could cause this, can a 7 year old have breast cancer? I'm really worried. Anyone have any ideas?

valleygurl 12-11-2004 01:30 PM

Re: 7 year old with breast lump???

I have heard of this happening in boys during the time their body is getting ready to go into puberty. I know the name of this disorder, however, today my mind is drawing a blank????? As we all know boys have testosterone in their body, however, they also have estrogen as well, and when the body is nearing puberty their hormones are just going crazy. This lump in the breast ( common) or breasts (less common) will occur when the estrogen level is greater for a short time than testosterone. In most cases when their hormone levels straighten out and their testosterone level comes back up the lump almost always disipates on its own. So maybe, even though your daughter is so young, its a hormone (estrogen level) thing???? It's just a thought. I always say when it comes to our children, it's better safe then sorry. Good luck and please keep us posted. ValleyGurl

feelbad 12-12-2004 06:52 AM

she is kinda young yet but it does sound like she is just developing breast buds.Just to be sure though I would have it looked at by her doc.They are saying that for some reason they are seeing puberty develop at much earlier ages than ever before.not quite sure why but the research indicates it as a trend that more pediatricians are seeing in alot of their younger patients.Marcia

dea4 12-13-2004 06:17 AM

Thanks for the info. I have also heard of girls developing younger, especially if they eat a lot of chicken because of the hormones that are given to chickens, but we eat chicken with no added hormones, so it can't be from that. I'll call her dr today and keep you posted on what I find out.

siren1024 12-13-2004 06:01 PM

It's probably just an adolescent nodule. I got one around the time I began to develop, and didn't get one on the other side until a few months later. I wasn't that young (I think I was about 10), but girls are, as you've said, developing earlier nowdays.

UNdscovrdCCRETS 12-20-2004 08:58 PM

Im am pretty sure this would be a breast bud, develops when puberty starts. 7 really isnt that young I started puberty at 8!!

off kilter 12-21-2004 05:21 AM

I was 9 when I started my period so I most likely had brest buds at 7 or 8. I would still check with your Dr. Some studies suggest delaying puberty in young female children. (Your Dr. would tell you how, there is a medication involved) can be benieficial for a female childs self esteem. Delaying breast developement and the onset of the childs period allows a child to be a child longer and in our society it prevents unwanted attention from males that a young child may not be ready for. It also can result in a increase in adult height as the early onset of puberty in girls can result in shorter status as a adult ie. 4 ft 11 as opposed to 5 ft 4.

dea4 12-21-2004 05:50 AM

Hi all,
I took her to the dr and he said it was prepuberty breast buds. They appear and will stay for about 6 months and then disappear and then she may get it on the other side. He said it is more common in boys but also happens in girls.

momof5boyz 01-04-2007 02:28 PM

Hello there, My son is only 8 years old and has a lump in his breast. He first developed a lump when he was a few months from his 7th birthday! His first dr. tried to attribute it to puberty. Um, my 12 yr old isn't even there yet! Anyway, the endocronologiest he was refered to had me scared out of my skin. She said the only things that would cause this in a boy so young would be liver disease, tumors of the adrenal glands or testes, or a brain tumor (affecting his pituitary gland). His testosterone levels tested super high- which made no sense at all! They ruled out the 1st 2 causes and then his testosterone levels went back to normal and the lump slowly went away without treatment. He never had an MRI to r/o a brain tumor. We had all but forgotten about last year's drama with all that when yesterday my son (now 8 yrs old) showed me that his OTHER breast is now swollen (lump under the nipple). I have searched the internet for any kind of answer and have come up with NOTHING. I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but this is the closest I've come to someone else with a child with a lump- that seems way too young to have it attributed to puberty. He is seeing a doctor today- but I'm still scared to death! Anyone else with some suggestions/answers as to what this could be? He doesn't show any other signs of puberty.

Thanks!

Sandy

jnutter2006 01-04-2007 03:27 PM

The hormones are given not only to chickens, but to other animals also, including dairy cows...

puffalump 01-24-2007 07:10 PM

OMG! I just noticed a small lump under the left nipple of my 8 yo son (next week is his birthday). He says it's been there for a few days. I called for an appointment and the nurses were baffled by it. Of course I'm freaking out. We go in on Friday. I hope, Momof5boyz, that yours came out fine.

jan_lisa 02-15-2007 07:38 PM

Hi...My daughter, who is 7, came to me 4 days ago and told me she wanted me to look at her chest. I found a lump in her left breast but none in her right. Of course I freaked out and we went to the doctor today. She said it was just a breast bud and to check it twice a month for discharge, swelling and soreness. If she only thinks its a breast bud then why do I have to check for these other things? Is she thinking it COULD be something else? So of course I'm still freaking out which led me to the web which led me to this thread. I am thinking I should get a second opinion from her pediatrician as it was our family doctor I took her to. Anyone have a comment/suggestion? Thanks for listening...

dea4 02-15-2007 08:05 PM

I really don't think you have anything to worry about. My daugher who is now 9 had this same thing happen at that age, she had a breast bud. It is very common and generally lasts for a while and then disappears. She may or may not have one appear on the other side. The watching for discharge etc is probably just precautionary on your drs part. But breast buds are very common and I doubt you have anything to worry about.

kimberlychor 10-26-2007 01:05 AM

Dea4,

After the lump gone, did it come back again? My daughter is 7 yrs old, early this year there is a lump and the nipple but afterall is was gone and now it was on the other side. I was quite worried. Kindly advise.

dea4 10-29-2007 07:13 AM

[QUOTE=kimberlychor;3276468]Dea4,

After the lump gone, did it come back again? My daughter is 7 yrs old, early this year there is a lump and the nipple but afterall is was gone and now it was on the other side. I was quite worried. Kindly advise.[/QUOTE]

It is very normal for one side to have a lump and then the other. Just as the other lump disappeared, this one will too. These are just breast buds and our dr said it is normal for them to get these and to get them on both sides but not at the same time. Some girls, like my daughter, only get them on one side. Some get them on both.
Be prepared, she may develop early. My daughter is now 10 and she is now getting the real thing.