It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2005, 04:20 PM   #1
(female)

Shmolissa HB User
My 7 year old son cries at the drop of a hat

My 7 year old son cries at everything. School work, bedtime, food, chores, clothes, siblings. He even cried one day at school during gym class because he was sweaty. I don't know how to deal with his constant whining and crying. I am worried that he will be teased and alienated at school. Is anyone else dealing with this?

Thanks
Melissa

Last edited by Shmolissa; 01-21-2005 at 04:20 PM.

Old 01-22-2005, 10:53 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

siren1024 HB User
Re: My 7 year old son cries at the drop of a hat

My brother was like that. He cried til he was 13 or so. He was always made fun of too. After he hit puberty, he quit crying so much so he wouldn't get made fun of, but developed an explosive temper in its place. He's now 19, and he's never violent, but he will get so angry and storm around, blow up, and yell. It's all the same impulse control problem, just manifested in a different way. He just flies off the handle and "loses it" and I've noticed these are always situations where he would've cried when he was younger. In his case, he's classic ADHD, but he hasn't been medicated since elementary school. My mom chose coping methods over meds.

I'd just like to encourage you to look into ways to teach him emotional impulse control. My mom babied my brother alot and encouraged his "senstivity" (he was a very tender hearted child where I was unemotional and "tough") and he grew up to be basically a good kid, but self centered and whiny. It's a tough spot, because you don't want to discourage their kindheartedness, but you don't need to indulge them, either. Of course, he could just be attempting out and out manipulation with the tears if they have a tendency to make you feel bad and give into him.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help! I just wanted to share what *might* happen when he gets older if he doesn't learn some control.
DD born 3/24/2005

Last edited by siren1024; 01-22-2005 at 10:55 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2005, 02:19 PM   #3
(female)

tomuchbagange HB User

MY daughter is 6 1/2 and she also cries about everything. They have her talking to a counselor at school and have had me in for meetings becuase the teachers are lost. They told me she should get screend for ADD but I don't really think she has that. Shes not hyper or anything like that just over sensitive. Sorry I am no help but I am in the same boat as you!

Old 01-28-2005, 01:03 AM   #4
(female)

cna02 HB User

My daughter just started acting this way this week. We were called to school tonight to talk to the teacher. She cries, whines, talks loud, and etc. We are in the same boat. I mentioned ADD or ADHD and she says she doesn't see it in her. She's a good student, but my how things have changed this week.
She also has the Charlie Brown effect-everybody is always picking on me, no likes me-everybody hates me. Its everyone elses fault except my daughter's.
First of all we prayed for her, as she goes to a parachoial school and will continue to do that. The said she might have a type of allergy, or a chemical imbalance or maybe ADD or ADHD or maybe even a diabetic. My cousins son-just found out this week-that's he has. He was being disruptive in school and uncontrollable at times.
This weekend, since I'm diabetic myself-I'll test my daughter and see what her blood sugar is. Also, she is being manipulative-she knows how to play us to a tee. I wish I knew what to do to! Have a good weekend......

cna02

Closed Thread