It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2005, 07:18 AM   #1
(male)

canman23 HB User
Unhappy 7 yr old wont eat need help!!!

We have a daughter thats 7 (will be 8 in July) and she is the pickiest eater I have ever seen. She will not try anything new. She only has a certian few foods that she will eat. We get her all kinds of things to try but, she takes one small bite and says I dont like it. We have tried the "tough love" thing and it didnt work. What can we do???

Old 01-25-2005, 10:43 PM   #2
(female)

mommax3 HB User
Re: 7 yr old wont eat need help!!!

My 6 year old son is the same way. He will be 7 in late July. But when he refuses to eat we have sent him to bed. When that doesn't work I spoon feed him. He has to eat to be healthy. And we have our kids try new foods on a weekly basis...the 6 year old has to be forced. He cries and screams. But if we didn't try then he would only eat salads and yogurt and hotdogs. Just keep trying. Ask your pedi doc and see if he/she has any ideas. GOOD LUCK!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2005, 10:11 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

whiteluluflower HB User

i was a very picky eater.. but what my mom did.. (especcially, on occasions, when we had more then 2 things for dinner).. is that we must have a portion of everything, but we dont have to eat 1 thing.. (but we would have to at least try itespeccially, if new food.) also, what we did, since my mom and 5 kids, we "traded" food.
it worked.. and i eventually learned to eat a lot more, im not as picky anymore..

Old 01-26-2005, 12:36 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB User

I have two boys who were totally different in their eating habits. When my oldest was your daughter's age and did not eat his food, he would be sent to his room. After crying and then having a calm talk, he would come down and eat. This happened just a few times and then he was fine. My youngest son at that age like a lot more than my older son, BUT his trouble was the length of time at the dinner table. He sat there a good half hour after everyone else was done. It took him years to get any faster.

I have a sister who's daughter now 13 never ate a big variety of things. My sister had to always bring a bag of plain pasta with her whenever they went somewhere to eat whether it be family or restaurant. Her husband is a chef - imagine his frustration when he makes a gourmet dish and his daughters (an older sister too) won't eat it!

You have to be firm but don't be a nag so your daughter gets so upset she can't eat. (Nag meaning, 'come on just try it') Stick to the 'no food after dinner' too. She has to be hungry enough to want to eat. If it's a new food, give a small portion and tell her she MUST finish it and let her know that she is not getting as much as everyone else.

Don't give up. I have a few friends that are picky to this day. They say 'picky' like it's a badge of honor. It just means you are not adventurous! Doctors used to tell me, ' oh, they'll get what they need.' Ya know, that's not the point. There's no reason why they can't eat the food that is served in your home. You have to tell her that the food you give her is not only good for you, but it is GOOD!

Last edited by sawbuck44; 01-27-2005 at 05:42 AM.

Old 01-26-2005, 07:49 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

whiteluluflower HB User

lol, it might take awhile for them to eat.. but they eventually will... i remember one time, a hile back, it took me 1/2 hour to eat half a sandwich.. gee.. i was a slow, and picky eater.. lol

Old 01-26-2005, 08:16 PM   #6
(female)

jokerhol1 HB User

sorry, no advice...i am just so glad to hear i am not the only one. my just turned 7 year old is also very picky. i'm sure if i gave her mac and cheese or a bread bun with ketchup (yuck) for every meal every day, she would be happy. variety is the spice of life i tell her and she tells me she doesn't like spice ! i've resorted to making sure she at least drinks lots of milk and takes a multi vitamin. my doctor says just to leave her be. she is active and healthy...how, i don't know. maybe someone out there knows of a miracle cure? i'll be checking back on this post to see what ideas come up!
thanks for the chance to vent !

Old 01-27-2005, 09:24 AM   #7
(female)

annelizly HB User

this is just a stage i think. i wouldn't force feed or punish. if they are hungry they'll eat. I would put a stop to snacks and have them sit at the table with rest of family as they eat. I wouldn't turn it into a trauma because that'll do more damage and maybe cause a long term eating disorder. food should never be made an enemy of a child. good luck!

Old 02-06-2005, 03:47 PM   #8
(female)

mommyof4gymnast HB User

Hi. I am new to the board. I have a son who will be 12 next month. He has always been an extremely picky eater. No methods have worked to change this. My son has Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder. The doc said this is one of his compulsions. He gags once a new food enters his mouth. This is a child that has never enjoyed a hamburger or hotdog! He has never eaten fruits, vegetables, or meat. It's not lack of trying on my part. Every doc he has seen have never been concerned. The funny thing is, he is the only one that doesn't get sick. It hasn't stunted his growth and he has enough energy to do gymnastics and play soccer.
The four major foods that my son's diet consists of is
speghettios
yogurt-w/o the fruit chunks
milk
french fries

I wish you good luck. I hope you find a method that workS

Old 03-10-2005, 04:42 PM   #9
(male)

chuzzlewit HB User

My 5yr old was eating almost nothing except french fries, and not that many fries. His doctor prescribed Risperdal to increase his appetite. The very first day he took it he started eating a LOT more. This was only about 3 weeks ago, but I'd say he has TRIPLED his total food intake and QUADRUPLED the number of foods he will eat. Just praying it will continue

Last edited by chuzzlewit; 03-10-2005 at 04:43 PM.

Old 03-11-2005, 09:44 AM   #10
(female)

elddiwtsm HB User

I have a 10 old who used to be really picky...hers foods couldn't touch. She would eat her tacos in separate piles. She would have to finish one thing before she would even touch another. And picky about what foods she would eat. The dinner table in my childhood felt like a warzone to me so I promised myself that my family would have peaceful meals. So, I did some of the previous suggestions "you have to at least try it once"..."if there are three things on your plate you have to finish two."
But, the thing that worked the best was letting her eat over at an older friends house.
The older girl got my daughter to try things that she would never have done on her own. And if there was something in particular that I wanted my daughter to try, I talked to the friends mother (who was a friend also) and asked her to work into the menu. Worked everytime. Because the young lady was a "peer" but also someone that my daughter looked up to made it cool to try new things. I just thought I would suggest something that is a little less combative. Good luck!!

Old 03-11-2005, 11:07 AM   #11
Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User

Sometimes it has to do with the texture and/or smell of the food. My son's like that and he's 6. He doesn't like anything messy or mushy which translates into no mashed potatoes, no tomato sauce, no gravy or sauce on anything, no over cooked veggies, no fatty meats, no apple sauce, etc. I really think that most children are picky eaters and that somethings you need to develop a taste for first like beans and spinach. You might want to observe the type of food she eats and try to see what it has in common. Since I know what my son's texture preference is and I know he thinks anything mushy is baby food, I work around it. It turns out that I wound up cooking healthier, because of my son's food preferences. I only buy lean meats and fresh salmon. I marinate the meats for 10-15 min. in soy sauce, then I broil them. The broiling keeps the meat tender and eliminates the messiness that my son doesn't like. For the salmon, I just spritz it with a little ollive oil and broil that too. I consentrate on raw veggies like sweet green and sweet red peppers, cucumbers, and cherry tomatoes. I've also found out that he loves freshly peeled apples, watermelon, strawberries, blackberries, and raspberries. He will only eat Chinese rice, which is fine since we are 1/2 Chinese anyway. He loves Ramon noodles, plain pasta, and toast. Sometimes I even toast the hamburger buns. He will also eat homemade croutons, which is easy to make. Just cut off the crust of the bread and slice it into cubes. (If the bread is homemade, you can use a knife. If it's that soft store bought bread, you'll need to use the kitchen shears.) Spritz your cookie sheet or tin foil with vegetable oil/olive oil spray. Then sprinkle with garlic powder and salt and pop in a 375 oven for 10-20 min. Another think kids seem to like is to make their own pizza out of English muffins or French bread. We also grow vegetables, which helps to entise them into eating fresh veggies. Crispy, roast cornish hen is another favorite of my son's; but you need to get one of those chicken stands so the hen stays off the bottom of the pan and gets crispy.

Sometimes it a matter of trial and error with children. Some children you just can't force to eat like my son. If I force him to eat something he really doesn't like, he will throw up. That's why I prefer to get to know him better over tough love. I'm not downing tough love, because sometime you have use it like when they don't want to do their homework. Hope my ideas will help you out. Good luck.

Old 05-13-2007, 08:26 AM   #12
(female)

Prija_Marshall HB User

I am new to the forum but I am hoping that I may be able to get some help and advice.

My 10 Year old daughter has always had a very healthy diet for many years, even tough no matter what she eats - She never puts on weight.

The last few weeks, her eating habits seemed to have changed in a slightly worrying sense. She now refuses to eat any kind of Pastry unless its sweet (Cakes are ok but a Pie, such as vegetable or steak is out of the question.) and has turned her nose up at many foods that we know she used to enjoy.

I do not want to jump the gun or asume that there is a possible eating disorder, but I am concearned that she is now not getting the right nutrition.

Could this just be a rebelious phase she is going through?

I should point out that despite a troubled childhood (I have been married once before and divorced for reasons I do not wish to discuss right now), she is also a very intelligent child, with a reading age above average for her years. She has been quoted as reading to the level expected of a "14 Year Old" and she will regulerly read newspapers and magazines.

With this in mind, I am a little worried that she may be learning too much... With all the talk of Obeasity and other diet problems that swarm our media of late.

Does anyone have any advice as to how I may be able to handle this situation?

Old 05-13-2007, 10:41 AM   #13
(female)

Boo63 HB User

I have a daughter who also would never gain an ounce. She could eat anything she wanted and was always way skinnier than everyone else. I took her to the doctor who said she was still in the "normal" range and just to give her stuff that had more fat and calories in it - whole milk instead of 2% etc. Then, she pretty much quit eating anything with a high fat content, wouldn't eat cheese, would cut off the fat from steaks, pork chops, whatever, would actually gag when she tried to eat them. Some meats she would not eat at all. I allow each one of our kids at least one food I will not force them to eat, there's stuff that I won't eat. Every kid is different and she just happened to have a more sensitive stomach than the other kids. She grew up to be a beautiful young woman and is still incredibly tiny (size 0, it's just not fair). She eats almost anything now and never has to watch her calories (brat).

Instead of forcing the kids to stay at the table and finish their meal, I would just not allow them anything else until the next meal. Eventually they get hungry enough to try other foods. Another thing I would do is serve salad first, nothing else until everyone has eaten their salad. I actually got my small children to eat broccoli and cauliflower by calling them "trees" and "trees with snow". Not cooking them too long helped as well.

Good Luck

Old 05-17-2007, 01:08 PM   #14
(female)

julietteL HB User

My daughter was similar (as well as other behavior issues) but we met with a behavior managment counsellor who created a behavior mgmt plan for chels. worked wonders!

check it out: coastprofessional.ca

Closed Thread