It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2005, 07:44 AM   #1

brandiworth HB User
Unhappy 7 month old with constipation

My son is 7 months now and has been constipated since Friday. He has pooped about 3 round balls a day but very painful to pass. I have had to help him poop one time. I have tried prunes in his oatmeal, along with prune juice to drink and other juices too. I have also tried suppositories and stimulation when he starts straining. When I try to help him, he screams and then the poop just goes back up as if he gives up trying. He didn't sleep very well last night, as he was passing gas and pulling legs up to stomach and then straight out again. Should I call the Dr. and inquire about maybe giving a stool softner? I feel so bad for him.

Also, can a diaper rash spread to the back, stomach, and legs? It looks like the same rash that is on his butt. It kind of looks like a heat rash maybe?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks - Brandi

Old 01-26-2005, 02:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User
Re: 7 month old with constipation

I'd call the doctor. Might as well get him something to make him comfortable. DS had such a horrible problem the a piece of stool got stuck in him. DH had to grab hold and pull it. His doc put him on Milk of Mag. A friend of mine's child had it so bad the doctor had to go in and remove an impaction. OWWW. Her doctor suggested mineral oil. But check with your doctor to get the correct amounts.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2005, 10:53 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandiworth
My son is 7 months now and has been constipated since Friday. He has pooped about 3 round balls a day but very painful to pass. I have had to help him poop one time. I have tried prunes in his oatmeal, along with prune juice to drink and other juices too. I have also tried suppositories and stimulation when he starts straining. When I try to help him, he screams and then the poop just goes back up as if he gives up trying. He didn't sleep very well last night, as he was passing gas and pulling legs up to stomach and then straight out again. Should I call the Dr. and inquire about maybe giving a stool softner? I feel so bad for him.

Also, can a diaper rash spread to the back, stomach, and legs? It looks like the same rash that is on his butt. It kind of looks like a heat rash maybe?
Sometimes babies have bad responses to baby formula or cows milk. He may be lactose intolorant, I'd definitely take him to the doc.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks - Brandi

Old 01-28-2005, 10:54 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

He could be lacotse intolorant. I would definitely see a ped about this.

Sorry about the previous post.

Old 01-28-2005, 04:42 PM   #5
(female)

thidagirl22 HB User

I would definately take him to the doctor. I'm sure he/she will have somthing to help the little guy. I remember my cousins daughter had to take a teaspoon of mineral oil every night since she was a year old. She is seven now and still needs it. I guess some kids have this problem for a long time.

Old 01-29-2005, 08:47 AM   #6
(female)

sunflowerhope HB User

do you breastfeed?if so that would be normal,my daughter has that,if not try....karo syrup...?

Old 01-30-2005, 05:26 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

I am rather curious about just what type of suppository is safe to give to a 7 month old baby?Marcia

Old 01-31-2005, 06:58 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

Really little suppositories. And use some KY Jelly to help ease them in. Basically a suppository just stimulates the area to get your child to go. We couldn't find infant ones, so we bought childrens and cut them into tiny pieces. I don't like using them though. Again, check with your doc to see what's safe to give a small infant.

Old 02-13-2005, 10:34 PM   #9
(female)

balivion HB User

I don't use supositories on my baby. He has always had problems with his bowel movements. My doctor told me to use an infant fleet enema, I used to ahve to use them every other day, now i use them about once a month at the most. I will say THEM THINGS WORK!!! and in EXCESS!!!! Takes about 5 minutes, and they go, and go, and go, and go, and go. First time I used one, I went through 4 diapers, in less than 3 minutes. But they really help.

Closed Thread