It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2005, 07:25 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

beanie_1122 HB User
5 yr old son having pains in his stomach around his belly button..any ideas?

My 5 yr old son keeps gettin pains in his stomach around his belly button. It doesn't seem to get to painful! I haven't taken him to the dr yet figured he was just gettin the stomach flu, but now I've ruled that out since its been goin on for a couple weeks now. And he hasn't gotten sick at all. Its not constantly maybe 2 or 3 times a week and it doesn't last real long when the pain does come about maybe 5 mins or so. I think I'm goin to call the dr in the morning and have him checked out just to be on the safe side! Has anyone elses child experienced this in the past? If so what was it? Thanks!!!

Old 02-01-2005, 05:45 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

irisrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB User
Re: 5 yr old son having pains in his stomach around his belly button..any ideas?

I think appendicitis starts out that way. Usually around the belly button and then migrates down to the lower right. If it doesn't move down to the lower right, probably not appendix. Could he have pulled a muscle? There are several muscles around that area running up and down and across. Maybe he did something while playing. I know he's not a woman, but ever since I had children, once in awhile I will do something to pull the muscles right around my belly button - and it hurts! I think I'd take him into the doctor just to ease your mind.

Good luck and I hope he feels better soon!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2005, 09:52 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kitkat77 HB User
Re: 5 yr old son having pains in his stomach around his belly button..any ideas?

My son used to complain of stomach pain from when he was 4 til he was 8 years old. I thought it was appendicitis or something but it was nothing. The dr told me that many children complain of stomach pain when something makes them feel anxious or insecure (this is what they get instead of headaches). However, if the child is in severe pain or has pain for longer than 3 hours, it should be taken seriously. Waves of severe stomach pain at intervals of about 15 - 20 minutes, may mean that his bowel is blocked. If there is a raised temp then it could be appendicitis.

When your son is complaining of pain take his temperature to see if it's raised, if it is give no medication and nothing to eat or drink, and call the doctor. If the pain is not severe and there is no temp, give him a hot water bottle and lots of hugs and extra attention. You should consult your doctor if your child frequently has stomach pains or develops any other symptoms.

Hope this helps!

Old 02-02-2005, 02:06 PM   #4

Lostdog HB User

My son had pain near his navel when he was younger(about 5) and it was a hernia.It did not require surgery,Thank goodness.Just another idea.Check with your Dr.though & good luck,
Christina

Closed Thread