It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2005, 04:57 PM   #1
(female)

Gispy5 HB User
Seroquel and Ritalin for 12 year old

My child is 12 and has had ADHD and been on ritalin since 1st grade. He's always had more wrong than just ADHD tho. He has recently been diagnosed with post tramatic stress (he had a very violent dad and several years of watching his mom in stress) schizophrenia, and bipolar or at least depression and anxiety. They have him on seroquel now and after a couple of terrible weeks where he was so tired they seemed to be starting to work. The last two nights though he has waken up from "nightmares" where he feels like he can't breathe or move and says he can only move after he makes himself jerk. Then he wakes me up and says his head hurts. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas, support or advice in this. We have been through a lot!

Old 02-07-2005, 07:11 PM   #2
(female)

balivion HB User
Re: Seroquel and Ritalin for 12 year old

Seroquel is a sleeping pill, I am a grown adult and it makes me feel like that too. Does he have problems sleeping??? That would be the first thing I would wonder, and see if you could figure out something else to get him to sleep then a sleeping pill. If he does indeed need seroquel then I would consider asking my doctor to reduce his dose, because the way it sounds, he is getting too much.
As for his ADHD have you ever tried any natural remedies for it? Alot of things that you would think would "hyper him up" will actually calm him. Coffee is one of those such things.

Hope that helps

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2005, 09:14 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

crisma HB User

I can't be of any help, but you might check out the ADD and post tramatic stress boards. Good luck!

Old 02-11-2005, 09:18 AM   #4
(female)

Gispy5 HB User

Thank you for writing back. I have tried using tea and soda as a calmer but only Ritalin seems to work. Yes he was having sleeping problems, only getting about 4 or 5 hours a night. The heavy feeling and excessive tiredness was better last night. Do the side effects go away really fast like within a day? My fiance thinks he isn't taking his medicine but I think he does it just reacts differently some days.
Also I have been told he may have to be institutionalized someday maybe soon. The doctors are freaked out I think because of the 12 year old who killed his grandparents. Are there nice places out there for kids with mental illness.
Any insight and help is really appreciated and needed!

Old 03-22-2005, 08:42 AM   #5
(male)

GlenW HB User

My stepson has Bi-Polar with psychotic features (Bi-polar w/ Schizo) and ADHD as well.

We've had to take him to the psychiatric hospital about nine times now after his behaviour has progress so out-of-control we couldn't be sure of our/his safety.

Seroquel is an anti-psychotic, and it should alleviate his schizoprenic episodes completely. The sleep/relaxing part of it is usually the pleasant side-effect =P We've also had it prescribed as an aggression-control med, taken when he's in a complete rage/manic fit.

And to relate more, he's on Concerta and Strattera for his ADHD, the former being a stimulant like Ritalin and Strattera is a non-stimulant. If he lacks either of them he just starts degrading in behaviour, gets much more hyper and out of control.

He's also on Trileptal, Depakote and an anti-anxiety med which was just given to him so I don't know the name =|

Anyways, the sad thing about meds is that they work differently for everybody and what works for my Eric might not work for your son. We've tried our son on so many different combinations (not to mention none at all), dietary changes, natural remedies, etc and we've finally gotten him somewhat stabilized now (though he's still very very far from a regular 12-year old).

Old 03-23-2005, 05:06 PM   #6
(female)

balivion HB User

Most generally when I get a headache from Seroquel, or any other side effects, it takes 2-3 hours after I wake up to have it go away. It could be the combination of the two drugs too that cause this.

Old 03-23-2005, 05:08 PM   #7
(female)

balivion HB User

Also, I didnt think of this til after my other post...sorry, his dose, may need to be regulated. He may be taking too much wich makes him go into such a deep sleep he can't come out of it, and if he does wake up he is still sedated until he makes himself move.

Closed Thread