It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2005, 06:53 PM   #1

san HB User
Question Child with easy bruising

Wondering if anyone has any thoughts or advice. My 6 yr. old son seems like he bruises easy. He ''plays hard and is all boy", but his knees to his feet and his elbows and forearms just seem to have so many bruises all the time. It is embarassing to me. He has had blood work done a year ago for a cellulitis infection in his leg and his basic WBC, and RBC were all normal.

Maybe I am just overly concerned? Does anyone elses kids look that bad? Can anyone think of anything to give (food or supplement) to help? I have mentioned it to the dr. before, but he didn't seem to care.

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2005, 08:15 PM   #2
Inactive

off kilter HB User
Re: Child with easy bruising

My son Paul not only seems to bruise easy but it seems to take forever for them to go away. He's really quite healthy but his skin is very light and that's why he seems to bruise easy and the bruises seems to last forever. He's just naturally very light skined.Is your child fair skined?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2005, 03:03 PM   #3

san HB User

Yes, he is pretty fair skinned also. Maybe that is really the only difference as to why it is so noticeable...? thanks

Old 04-22-2005, 09:33 AM   #4

pgta5 HB User

My son was always and easy bruiser. We kept asking the Dr at every visit and they basically said it was because he was so active.

At almost 4 years old he work up morning actively bleeding from nose mouth, increased bruises. We immediately went the the Er and he was admitted to Chidren's hospital, dx'd w/ acute ITP (this is a platelet disorder which happens frequently but usually resolves w/in 6-8 weeks). This is totally unrelated to the rest but led up to dx's.

Luckily, he resolved very quickly but I still kept questioning why he bruised so easily (I thought maybe he had always had this problem and we just didn't know). After months of normal blood work and repeated pressure from me his hemotogist ran a test for Von Willebrands disease. This is a hereditary bleeding disorder.

BTW..it will not show up on routine blood panels and usually is ordered by a hemotologist and goes to a special lab.

He came back showing that he had it...as do I. Up to 2 out of 100 people in the world have it. There are different forms but the most common is type 1. It usually never needs treatment. I didn't know I had it until I was 30! My dad was also found to be a carrier at 66. It helped me relax a bit.

This may totally not be the case for you children but it may be something you mention at your next dr's visit. I look at other children's legs and elbows and see that my child definately has more bruises which take longer to heal. It is true that active kids will have more bumps and bruises... you need to evaluate whether your child;s seem to be excessive or "normal".

Good luck!
~P

Last edited by pgta5; 04-22-2005 at 09:37 AM. Reason: forgot info

Old 04-25-2005, 05:18 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

ldjones HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgta5
My son was always and easy bruiser. We kept asking the Dr at every visit and they basically said it was because he was so active.

At almost 4 years old he work up morning actively bleeding from nose mouth, increased bruises. We immediately went the the Er and he was admitted to Chidren's hospital, dx'd w/ acute ITP (this is a platelet disorder which happens frequently but usually resolves w/in 6-8 weeks). This is totally unrelated to the rest but led up to dx's.

Luckily, he resolved very quickly but I still kept questioning why he bruised so easily (I thought maybe he had always had this problem and we just didn't know). After months of normal blood work and repeated pressure from me his hemotogist ran a test for Von Willebrands disease. This is a hereditary bleeding disorder.

BTW..it will not show up on routine blood panels and usually is ordered by a hemotologist and goes to a special lab.

He came back showing that he had it...as do I. Up to 2 out of 100 people in the world have it. There are different forms but the most common is type 1. It usually never needs treatment. I didn't know I had it until I was 30! My dad was also found to be a carrier at 66. It helped me relax a bit.

This may totally not be the case for you children but it may be something you mention at your next dr's visit. I look at other children's legs and elbows and see that my child definately has more bruises which take longer to heal. It is true that active kids will have more bumps and bruises... you need to evaluate whether your child;s seem to be excessive or "normal".

Good luck!
~P

I saw this post and just wanted to ask a quick question??? Do you recall what lab work came back abnormal? Our son for 2+ yrs has had severe nose bleeds and bruising, tested negative for leukemia but his Mean Platelet Volume has been consistanly low for the past 4 months and his actual Platelets are now dropping. Now his Platelets have not dropped below 150 but are not far away.. I am concerned about all this. Just wanted to see if you remembered what his labs showed.. thank lyn

Old 04-25-2005, 05:38 PM   #6

san HB User

Idjones,
Who were you asking the question too?

ptga5,
Thanks for your info. That is what I am trying to do a lot lately is to see how "normal" some of my sons bruising is. I live in Michigan and since it has been cold & wear long sleeves & pants, don't notice it as much, UNTIL we started swim lessons at the YMCA a few weeks ago. I tended to really compare him to the other kids. I have been thinking of talking with the dr. again, but don't want to seem overly ?paranoid? thanks again, San

Old 04-26-2005, 10:57 AM   #7

pgta5 HB User

Lyn,

My son never had lab work prior to the ITP diagnosis. They don't normally check until something is wrong (makes no sense..seems like you should have baseline done at least every year). If your child had a platelet production issue the platelets would obviously be low. If it is a platelet function issue it's not going to show on routine blood work. They have to run specific tests based on what they think may be the culprit.

Platelets are a funny thing they can fluctuate very quickly..I'm talking in hours. This freaked me out a bit at first but I think it is actually a good thing that they can overcome and produce quickly. Everyones platelets will go up or down w/ illness. So if your child is getting over a viral infection the platelets could be lower than normal. Medication like NSAIDS (Ibuprofen can also effect platelet production). If your son's MPV is always low and the platelet count is always low, I would question that.

My son's CBC labs have never been out of range (except w/ the ITP). And we found that out at the ER.

Question: Do you know what your platelet count is? Your husband's? Some people just fall lower in that range of 150-400K.

San: I know it's so hard to NOT get paranoid w/ bruising/bleeding. I think if you feel something is not right with your child...go with your gut. Parent's instinct is usually pretty strong.

Take care!
~P

Old 05-02-2005, 12:35 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

hrtofluv HB User

Just wanted to also state that anemia can also make your child bruise easier. Also a simple blood test. Does you son have a good diet? Does he take vitamins?
I would just ask his ped for a blood test.
Let us know if you do and what the results were.
hrtofluv

Old 05-04-2005, 08:53 AM   #9

pgta5 HB User

Hematacrit and hemoglobin would be low on the CBC if there was a question of anemia. They would then follow with a study to check for Folic Acid, Iron and B levels (This is another blood draw but a bit more volume, 10cc usually...2 tubes).

I give my son Vitamin C (We do 300mg daily but I would start w/ 100mg first and see how your child's body reacts..some parents I know have given up to 1000mg) in addition to his multi-vitamin w/iron every day. It does help the bruising. Some parents that I know who have children w/ bleeding disorders also give their children Chlorophyll. This comes in liquid form, you can add to water or juice (it is green!)..but I would check w/ a naturopath about dosage for children. Also, Noni juice is another supplement that is given. Again, I would check w/ your doctor before giving. Some children who may have immune disorders should be careful w/ herbal/natural supplements.

Closed Thread