It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2005, 04:35 PM   #1
(female)

Eliz-Beth HB User
Can Someone Please Help Me My Sister Is Sick

My parents are away on a trip so I am taking care of my sister and myself, even though she's just 2 and a half years younger than me. Yesterday she wasn't acting like her self at all and she was getting tired really easy. When she got up this morning she started complaining that she felt nauseous, was kind of pale, felt generally and that she had a fever. Which she did it was around 100 about a hour ago. She's been resting most of the day, but her stomach is still really bothering her, and she's only gagged a couple of time, almost like dry heaving. What should I do if she starts throwing up? Should I stay with her or not? I've seen people put clothes on other's foreheads and back of the necks when they are vomiting, does that really help anything? Should I make her sleep in the bathroom or put a bucket by her head? I've heard that water makes vomiting and nausea worse is that true? and if it is then what should I give her to keep her from getting dehydrated? How often should I take her temperature? I would greatly appricate any tips that you all have for me so I can help my sister feel better.

Thanks.

Old 04-22-2005, 05:04 PM   #2
(female)

char222 HB User
Re: Can Someone Please Help Me My Sister Is Sick

try to give your sister motrin or tylenol for the fever. Also try to give her a tepid bath to cool her body down. If her temp gets to be over 103 she needs to be seen by a DR. to keep her hydrated if alloved give her pedialite. there are several diffrent bugs going around this year. you should stay by her just in case she throws up have a bucket or something to catch the vomit. water is ok but sometimes it can upset the stomach. give her a little bit at a time

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2005, 06:45 AM   #3
(female)

GloryGurl HB User

Eliz-Beth, How is your sister today? How old is your sister if i might ask?
Also, if she is still suffering with the same symptoms that you gave last night, I would suggest that you take her temperature approx every 2 hours. If she continues to run a fever give her either Tylenol (Acetominophen) every 4 hours or Motrin (Ibuprofen) every 6 hours to keep her temp down. If she is still nauseous and if she is vomiting it is very important to keep her SIPPING clear liquids as so she doesnt get dehydrated. Have her continue to rest and keep a garbage can or a pail beside her so if she has to vomit.

More than likely she has picked up a nasty virus somewhere and hopefully it is only the 24 hour bug. If you have anymore questions just hop on here and ask away!

Good Luck, Glory

Old 04-23-2005, 12:14 PM   #4
(female)

Eliz-Beth HB User

She's 15. She's a little better. Her fever's gone down from 100.3 that it had been last night. She's threw up like 6 times last night and 2 today, now she's mainly dry heaving. She's been sleeping alot which is good. But no I'm also not feeling all that great. Kind of run down and my stomach's a little iffy and I just feel chilly. Gosh, I hope I am not getting what she has, I felt bad enough watching her go threw what she's been going threw and I definately don't want to go threw it myself. I still don't know how in the world I am going to take care of her if I start getting sick myself?

Thanks.

Old 04-23-2005, 01:25 PM   #5
(female)

GloryGurl HB User

Eliz-Beth, I am glad to hear that her fever has gone down. Although i am sorry to hear that you arent feeling so well! I would almost dare say that your sister will probably start feeling a little bit better very soon. I work in the health profession and have seen alot of stomache viruses lately. They seem to be turning up more now than at the beginning of the winter.

My daughter who is 13 just had it at the beginning of the week. She was absolutely fine all day and around 10:00 P.M. she was on the computer and the next thing i knew she was running for the bathroom to vomit. She said that she didnt feel sick at all until that moment. Needless to say she vomited and had diahrea all night long and also had a low grade fever. She said that her stomache wasnt cramping nor did she feel nauseated at any time in between her vomiting. She just felt extremely weak. I just gave her liquids and jello that whole day and by 10:00 the next night (24 hours later) she was much better.

Hopefully the 24 hour bug is all that your sister has and she will be feeling better just in time to take care of you should you get sick. lol
It sounds like you are doing a great job taking care of her!
I hope the two of you get feeling better very soon!

Good Luck and Get Well, Glory

Old 04-25-2005, 03:26 PM   #6
(female)

Eliz-Beth HB User

My sister's feeling better almost 100% better, which is excellent. But me on the other hand is not. I am still feeling terrible, I've had a 100.4 fever all day, had 2 migraines, and I can't keep any food down and hardly anything liquids. I went to my doctor today and he said that it was just the stomach flu and that I would get over it in a couple of days or so and to take medicine to keep my temperature under control. But I really don't think it's just the stomach flu. I mean do can stomach flu's really last for over 2 days? My sister's trying her best to comfort me and help me feel better, so I am thankful for that.

I have to go she's yelling to me to get off my laptop and try and see if I can drink the water she just gave me.

Old 04-26-2005, 06:45 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

hrtofluv HB User

Eliz-beth,
Hope you are feeling better today. Yes - stomach flu can last 2-3 days. And your sister will be able to catch it again from helping you. Is there a family member (aunt or uncle) or family friend or maybe one of your friend's mothers that can help out? When are your parents returning? Have you told them when they've called to check in? I'd hate for you to get too de-hydrated during this. Just remember if you can to get 1 ounce of fluid in you every hour. If you continue throwing up and can't keep the medicine down (tylenol or ibuprofen for the fever) - maybe the doctor you saw can call you in a tylenol or phenergen suppository). They worked the best for me when I had this in the fall.
Post back when you can (or should I say when your sis lets you).

Closed Thread