It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2001, 02:58 PM   #1
Inactive

eweejoe HB User
Post Tongue-tied 2 year old

My 2 1/2 year old is tongue tied. It prevented me from being able to breast feed her. My son was also tongue tied, but his was clipped before he left the hospital. I really want this done for my daughter, but her peditrician says it isn't needed. She doesn't talk as plain as other kids her age, which could just be her normal speech developement. The frenulum under her tongue is attached all the way to the tip of her tongue. Any adivce, experiences anyone could share with me?

Old 03-15-2001, 01:33 PM   #2
Inactive

eweejoe HB User
Just an update..I took her to an oral surgeon and she's having her tongue clipped. My advice to anyone who has a child and it told they are tongue tied, have it clipped when they are VERY small. It is much simpler to do and doesn't require anethesia.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2001, 11:41 AM   #3
Inactive

Katie13 HB User
Question

What's 'tonmgue-tied'? I've never heard of this before and I'm interested!!!

------------------
Don't dream the dream, be the dream.

Old 03-26-2001, 01:08 PM   #4
Inactive

eweejoe HB User
Katie13,

Being tongue tied means that the frenulum (the thin 'cord' that connects your tongue to the bottom of your mouth) is connected all the way up to the tip of the tongue. Essentially, you cannot stick your tongue out of your mouth because it is attached to the bottom of your mouth. My little girls is like that. Also where her inside of her upper lip is connected to the gum between her two front teeth is also attached all the way down to the gum line between her teeth. It prevented me from being able to breastfeed her after my milk came in and it can cause speech impediments. Hopefully hers is being done early enough that she won't have to have speech therapy. My son was also born tongue tied and they clipped his as a very simple procedure when he was 1 day old. Just the difference in pediatricians. Wish now I would have pushed the issue and made him do it. I would recommend anyone who is faced with the decision to have it done as early as possible. It has taken me 2 1/2 years to build up the nerve to have it done to her, but she will thank me in the long run.

Closed Thread