It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2001, 05:25 AM   #1

Anderklan HB User
Question unusual problems with 7 year old sons leg

This morning when I woke up my son was sitting on the floor crying that his leg hurt. I thought perhaps he had slept on it weird and that it had just fallen asleep and so I pulled on it and he screamed in pain. Our doctors office didn't open until 8 for appts so I carried him to living room and waited. I was able to get appt for him and he did the same thing to doc as he did me when the doc tried to move it. He said it hurt behind his knee but there was no swelling. We took basic blood work and also did some ex-rays but they didn't show up anything wrong. We are going back tomorrow for more tests. He had a virus with a fever, diarrhea, and throwing up on May 4th and 5th. Could this have something to do with the leg problems now or do you have any thoughts on what it could be or what I could look for as a mom?

Thank you!!

Anderklan

Old 05-17-2001, 07:37 PM   #2

Brooklyn HB User
Unhappy

Awww Poor Babe!
I hope everything is okay with him. I know that when I was little (20 next week) I had this terrible pain in my legs. The doctors told my mom is was growing pains in the back of my legs and knee cap. This is the only thing that I can see that may help. She use to give me Tylenol to ease the pain however I wouldn't give your child Tylenol if he/she has to go for tests in the morning.
I hope I was of some help. Please let us know how you are doing with your little one.
Nursing Student

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2001, 12:07 PM   #3

emmeline HB User
Arrow

my 7 year old complains of the same leg aches . it scares me too. my 2 nieces used to whine at night with leg aches and after all tests came back neg. the doctor told their mother that it was growing pains. they would soak in a hot tub of water and then wrap an ace bandage around their leg/legs. my daughter doesn't like the soaking so i either use a heating pad or ace bandage. if she still complains then i massage some aspercreme into the achy spots.

Old 05-20-2001, 01:26 AM   #4

Nettie HB User
My six year old son, use to wake up with leg pain. After a trip to the doctor, said he had a flat foot.. We got some arch inserts, and he has been alot better.

Old 05-25-2001, 10:28 AM   #5

Babernethy HB User
I sufferd with growing pains when I was a kid...Dr said I was a hypochondriac and of course...the Dr. is always right! I got no sympathy from my parents becasue it was 'all in my mind'.
Both my children get it also...I must be dreaming it. My 7 yr old son has exactly the same symptoms...though not as severe. My daughter (almost 5) has awakened us crying in the night for the same thing.
I found that a couple rare earth magnets worked wonders...1 on either side of the knee held with masking tape. I got them at Lee Valley for an unrelated reason...and use them also for back pain.
Hope he feels better!
B

Old 05-29-2001, 03:13 AM   #6

~mandy~ HB User
Did you check his hip? A lot of the time with children knee pain is refered hip pain. If you haven't gotten any xrays of his hip done yet then you should go back to your doctor and request them. If the xrays are clear then it's most likely a muscular thing.

Closed Thread