It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2001, 05:43 PM   #1

Lauris HB User
Post Toddler with body odor

Over the past month my 3 1/2 year old daughter has developed body odor under her arms. Even with daily bathing and powdering the odor is present. I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has experienced the same problem. I found a posting on the old HealthBoards Web site about this type of problem but I am not able to post a reply.

Old 07-11-2001, 10:43 AM   #2

windcaller HB User
Smile

I haven't experienced this but maybe the problem could be caused by her diet? Like garlic, it seeps thtough the pores.

Just a suggestion, have you asked her doctor?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2001, 02:13 PM   #3

Lauris HB User
With your suggestion, I monitored when my toddler had sauce which I use fresh garlic in and somewhat felt that the garlic was the cause for the odor. We also went to her pediatrician who agreed that some foods, ie garlic, curry, etc., cause odor. He found no other evidence to do any testing. I was relieved. Thanks for you response it helped!

[This message has been edited by Lauris (edited 07-25-2001).]

Old 07-26-2001, 04:10 AM   #4

windcaller HB User
Cool

Glad I could help! My son used to reek of garlic when he had pizza at lunch during school. I always knew when it was pizza day.

Don't stop using garlic though, it is very good for you!!

Old 07-26-2001, 12:57 PM   #5

BJ24 HB User
Could you please do me a favor? Keep watching it and PLEASE e-mail me if the odor persists. My sister had something very similar to this around that age. She had all sorts of testing over a long period of time, she even had her tonsils out because the doctors thought the odor was coming out of her mouth.. At the age of 13 she was diagnosed with a very rare, NON LIFETHREATNING disorder called TMA.. It is farefetched but there are so many cases that go untreated because people think it's a hygiene problem.. I can give you more info if the odor persists

Old 08-25-2001, 11:08 PM   #6
(female)

jaqi HB Userjaqi HB User
My son had the same problem which i started to notice when he was about 10 months old by 18 mths it was worse and i had taken him to doctors who said all was fine but that they would put him on a antibotic just incase he had a infection,after this still no chnage some days he smelt worse then others.At nearly three the body odour was so bad that at night my daughter who is 2 years older then him would pull faces as she was kissing him goodnight and say matthew smells.I went back to the doctor again and said there must be something i can do, if this is just his body odour he will have a sad life because i am finding it harder to hug him,I insisted he send me to someone else and after lots of thought he suggested a ears nose and throat specilaist.He found by very thorough examination that he had a blockage but wasnt sure where.exray's were taken of his whole body and found a blockage in his sinus area. he operated to remove the blockage and it turned out to be a piece of sticky tape so small. the theory is that while he was crawling he put the sticky tape in his mouth and it lodged in his sinus area and caused teh smell.Instantly after the operation he went back to smelling beautifully and kissing and hugging him was no longer a prob.

Closed Thread