It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2002, 07:50 PM   #1
Inactive

ROSEANNATHOME HB User
Question Leg Cramps at Night

My daughter - 5 yrs old - has been having leg cramps for the past 2 nights. It starts around dinner and continues thru the night. She's actually been waking up screaming that her legs hurt. In the daytime she's fine. Now she's tall for her age, so how much of this is "growing pains"? Any clues.

Old 02-27-2002, 08:52 PM   #2

trishk HB User
my daughter is 6 now but her leg cramps started around the time she turned 5. like yours, she is very tall for her age. she still gets them every few weeks or so. we took her to the dr. and he said they're a combo of growing pains and activity during the day. a small dose of tylenol or motrin will help her alot. also, if you massage the area for her for 10 or 15 minutes before bed it might help. just make sure she winds down a few hours before bed. heating pads on low heat work, too. i've been up several nights in a row in the past and it does get very tiring. best wishes to you and your child. keep us posted. kim

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2002, 09:39 AM   #3
Inactive

Nicksmom HB User
Are the cramps in the legs more like a spasm? Very intense pain and then gradually goes away? And does her legs feel sore thoughout the day after one of these eposodes? When I was a kid I used to have these kind of things happen to me and the doctor said I was deficiant in potasium. I was told to eat lots of bannanas. He also said it's a common problem in growing kids.

Old 02-28-2002, 06:07 PM   #4

CLee HB User
Cool

here is another thought... My husband's family is huge... almost all over 6ft. Our younger daughter complains HER legs hurt, and she is just 3. (she used to wake up crying at night as a older baby and then as a toddler before she was able to TELL us, I think thats what it was..)..ANYWAY.. he swears to massage them with rubbing alcohol for a few minutes (watch for any BOO-BOOS) and it seams to work. My pedi said she couldn't see where the alcohol would help, but I have tried it both ways, and I'll tell ya, it makes a difference. Hers is a long throbbing pain, and some nights if she wakes more then 2x before I go to bed, I give her the childrens Ibuprofen too.

Old 02-28-2002, 07:10 PM   #5
Inactive

ROSEANNATHOME HB User
Talking

Thanks everyone. I spoke with her doctor today and she (It's a woman pediatrician) asked me if my daughter had flat feet. Yes she does. Evidentally this is common in children with flat feet. I do make sure she wears good supportive shoes - but for some reason my daughter likes to walk on her tippy toes. Her doctor feels this is contributing to the pain in her legs. This is the third night - and so far, she hasn't waken crying. Last night I gave her Motrin and put a linament on her legs. That seemed to help. During the day, she's fine - like nothing happened. I'll let you know how tonight goes. Thanks again.

Closed Thread