It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2002, 01:43 PM   #1

mommyof3 HB User
Post busted ear drum

Does anyone out there have any experience with a burst ear drum in children? For background; I generally handle my childrens health with lots of research and natural methods. When my older children show signs of ear problems I immediately start eardrops of garlic, golden seal, or gse along with extra vitamen c and echinacea. If it seems to progress anyway I use Delsym or Sudafed and as a last resort antibiotics. We've had really good results, my oldest 2 have each had only 2 real ear infections in their lives. We may not be so lucky with the baby, she's nine months old and seems to always be stuffy headed. She's had one infection already and a while back the doctor prescribed Rynatus to clear her head and gave me lots of samples for later because he knows that we have no insurance to keep coming back. Anyway last week she was kinda cranky but had no specific symptoms of illness then suddenly she woke up with tons and I mean tons of green mucous coming out of her ear. I cleaned it up and had a look in the ear which was full of fluid. I started her on ear drops (gse) and the Rynatus and after talking to a couple of nurse friends decided that her eardrum must have burst. I'm starting anti-biotics today, since this is obviously serious. My questions are; how long will the eardrum take to heal, will it be able to heal completely while the ear is still full of fluid, what specifically should I watch for? Sorry this got so long, I just wanted to provide enough information so that someone out there with some answers might can help. Please note that I'm not kidding when I say we can't afford to go to the doctor if all he's going to do is suggest anti-biotics (which I already have) and a wait and see approach. I need to handle this myself unless she is in danger.
Thanks,
mommy of 3

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2002, 02:22 PM   #2
Inactive

plymouth HB User
Arrow

I suffered a punctured ear drum as a child. It was discovered by way of pain due to infection as water collected behind the drum. The puncture was visible to the doctor on examination. I was given antibiotics and had to use cotton balls and vaseline in the ear when showering/bathing to keep water out and no swimming until the ear drum healed. The doctor said these usually heal in children but maybe not adults. It took most of a year to heal. I don't know if the infection could lead to hearing loss.

~p

Old 02-16-2002, 10:27 PM   #3

muningo HB User
I would aske the doctor about putting anything liquid in your child's ear if she has a perforated ear drum. That can cause another whole world of problems..
Just my opinion..
Pam

Old 02-17-2002, 05:33 AM   #4

Roo HB User
My 3 and a half year old daughter has always had ear problems, she had grommets when she was 2. A few weeks ago she suddenly started bleeding from her ear. I took her straight to the doctor who said her ear drum had perforated due to a nasty infection and gave her antibiotics.I was unaware she had an infection at the time, the doctor said if it wasn't for the grommets she would have been in a lot of pain. It bled quite heavily for about 8 hours, then dried up. The doctor checked her again 2 weeks later and said it was healing ok. I avoided getting her ear wet for a few weeks and it has been ok since although there is a chance her hearing may have been damaged. On previous occasions when she has had infections, she too has had a lot of mucous, or 'gunk' as I call it come from her ear. I have always been told this is due to infection rather than her ear drum perforating, but then I cannot be sure I have always been aware of exactly what is going on in there! I have no experience of alternative treatments so I cannot comment there, but I can say that my daughter has been treated with antibiotics numerous times for ear infections and although it does concern me, it has nearly always been effective in getting rid of the infection. Doctors in this country are getting quite cautious when prescribing antibiotics, but when it comes to childrens ear infections, they usually prefer to get it treated as quickly as possible to avoid problems.

Old 03-17-2002, 07:42 AM   #5

malibu_cpp HB User
Hi Mommy of 3!
I know I am a bit late in responding to your post but I am a mom who is WELL AWARE of the frustration that comes along with a perforated ear drum. I do have to agree with Pam in the way that I would NOT put anything liquid in her ears wothout a doctors "ok" since in fact the ear drum is open. My daughter has had 3 perforated ear drums since she was 3. Each time I was not aware of any infection brewing inside until she screamed in pain for a few minutes and this was later accompanied by lots of yucky stuff coming from her ear. I have learned that this is the bodys way of getting rid of the infection. The pressure builds up so much that eventually the ear drum splits, thus infection drains. An antibiotic is usually not needed since the body is already ridding itself of the infection. Some doc's as a precaution though will write a prescription for a low dose antibiotic "just in case". A reason antibiotics are used to treat ear infections is to prevent the perforation from occuring. If ear infections are something she is acquiring often then a doctors advice should be sought because this in fact can cause hearing loss. As for the "split" or "busted" ear drum, this will heal fairly quickly (usually in a week or so) and usually does not result in loss of any hearing. One thing to keep in mind is their are actually doctors in other countries such as Thailand who do not treat ear infections at all with antibiotics. A perforated ear drum is just another way of the body ridding itself of infection in this area. Of course it's a lot more painful! But no significant harm will be caused by this happening, unless of course ear infections keep recurring. Then a doctor should definitly be seen. Hope this is of some help in the future!

Mal

The Following User Says Thank You to malibu_cpp For This Useful Post:
laramram (01-04-2012)
Closed Thread