It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2002, 07:38 AM   #1

terry2 HB User
Post vomiting with joint pain

Hi My 8 year old son has had several episodes of vomiting -he'll wake up with an upset tummy and vomit. He complains lately of sore knees, ankles and a sore shoulder joint(different joints-different times). I'm not sure of the connection,is there is one. I've asked if he is worried/upset about school and homelife -he says no. He usually stops vomiting after a few hours. His appetite is good afterward. Anyone know of any connection to sore joints and feeling sick. It does sound like he is bothered by something, since he feels better later in the day. Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks

Old 03-21-2002, 08:53 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

Jaytor HB User
Very hard to tell without testing as there are many different potential causes.

Kids, unlike adults, tend not to dwell on what pains them, especially if they can be distracted by more pleasant stimuli, or if they are cheerful/active by nature. This is actually what makes it so difficult to assess children's pain: kids tend to ignore pain until it becomes unbearable.

Regardless of what your child has, vomiting over an extended period of time is ALWAYS very damaging. Pls see your doctor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2002, 02:37 AM   #3
Super Sarah

Talking

Hi,

It could be possible that there is a physical cause for these symptoms. He may have an inflammation of the joints which is causing the pain, which in turn is upsetting his tummy and making him vomit.

Sometimes kids find it hard to express emotions because they cannot find the right words, so it is easier for them to express physical symptoms, such as tummyache and vomiting.

In any event, I think you should see your doc whatever the cause is and try to get to the bottom of it.

Good luck and take care.

Sarah

Old 03-22-2002, 05:09 AM   #4

terry2 HB User
Hi -my 8 year old son also develops fevers when his tummy hurts and he vomits and has joint pain
Yesterday, he woke with an upset tummy and vomited -he said his leg behind his knee and his shoulder joint. He seemed better by noon and ate -but still said his leg hurt when he walked- by 4 pm he had a fever and couldn't eat dinner -and went to bed at 6 with some tylenol. Yet this morning -he woke-no fever and feeling good. He said his back of his leg hurt a little, but not too bad. He ate and went to school. I don't understand why it is intermittant-occurring one day and going away for a week or two. Any more info would be appreciated. Thank you

Old 03-22-2002, 05:38 AM   #5

CLee HB User
Cool

Terry.. Just a thought. Check out "Rare Disorders" PFAPA posts. How long has this been happening to your son?? This may not be what it is, but from what you have said, it seems like you should make your own decision as to wether or not you want to mention this "Recurring Fever Syndrome" to your Pedi. It is a realitivly new diagnosis and your Dr may need to do some research. GOOD LUCK!!!! Cindy

Closed Thread