It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2002, 07:47 PM   #1
Inactive

Dawn1973 HB User
Arrow diarrhea in my 14 month old.

Hey all. I have a 14 month old who is having SEVERE diarrhea. He is drinking a ton of fluids and is no longer vomiting so dehydration is not really concern. The problem? A MAJORLY sore bum Any ideas on what to do besides the standard Desitin, powder, hair dryer to the bum...u name it I tried it and I just feel so bad for him. His bum is actually bleeding as he has been pooping up to twenty times a day. HELP!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2002, 04:32 AM   #2
Super Sarah

Talking

Hi,

You could try cream on the bottom, this is normally soothing. Have you tried anything to stop the diarrhea? If there was vomiting is this a stomach virus do you think and if so, maybe you could try and slow the diarrhea down. If you do this, then the sore bottom will resolve slowly too.

Take care

Sarah

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2002, 06:40 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

niecsey HB Userniecsey HB User
Wink

HI vaseline is brill as it acts as a water defense also you could try zinc and caster cream, let him get as much air to his bum as possible i have heard of an egg been used someway for this some one else might get back to you about the egg thing i think its the egg white thats used good luck

Old 04-29-2002, 06:05 PM   #4
Inactive

Dawn1973 HB User
Yes, unfortunately he has a bad GI virus. Rotovirus, actually. He was pooping and puking his guts out. Spent the night in the ER getting IV fluids. Five days later after living on the BRAT (bananas applesauce rice and toast ) diet, HE IS STILL POOPING!!!! I feel so bad for him. Pediatrician says this is normal and not to worry as he is consuming large amounts of fluid. Bum is a little better though. I have been using a yeast crem with hydrocortisone, then Desitin on top and then powder on top of that. We are finally gettting somewhere. Anyway, thanks to all who have replied.

Old 04-30-2002, 02:45 PM   #5
Super Sarah

Talking

Hi,

Glad things have improved, but I hate to say that hydrocortisone and creams such as this only cause suppression of symptoms in the long run. If you want something to help natural things such as Vaseline and Calendula cream are better alternatives. Calendula is Marigold and is very good for wound healing.

Sarah

Old 05-01-2002, 05:31 PM   #6
Inactive

Dawn1973 HB User
Sarah,
That may be true, but hydrocortisone was recommended by my pediatrician and now the rash is completely gone!!
Dawn

Old 05-03-2002, 01:19 PM   #7
Senior Veteran

Jaytor HB User
Some of the suggestions may not be good/safe:

Hydrocortisones - cortisones are also immune-suppressants. Therefore, limit using such meds to emergency situations only. The zinc-based ointments and creams can be safely used for a longer time span [more often]. Consider using plain, unscented vaseline as a water barrier.

Egg whites - Raw egg whites contain an enzyme that absorbs one of the VitBs; this can harm your baby.

Calendula - Watch out for allergic reactions [breathing difficulties, runny eyes, nose, coughing, sneezing and wheezing] esp. if you have a family history of hay fever.

Closed Thread