It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2002, 06:23 PM   #1
(female)

KimberlyV HB User
Unhappy Bad Breath in 5 year old

I would sure appreciate it if someone could help me out with this one. My 5 year old daughter constantly has very bad breath. She brushes 2 times in a row every morning, and every night before bed. She scrubs her tongue and we have even done it for her. Nothing seems to help. It has been like this for a long long time, but the doctor doesn't seem to have any idea why it is like this. Any ideas as to why she has this problem or what I can do for her? Thanks! Kim

Old 03-05-2002, 07:17 PM   #2

CLee HB User
Talking

Kim, does she have any sinus problems, or sore throats??? I was just wondering. My daughter (almost 7) has been diagnosed with Recurring fever Syndrome, where she gets a fever and an array of symptoms every 4-6 weeks (not every child has them at those intervals) and I think our other daughter is starting with them. One thing they ALWAYS get when they get sick is VERY foul breath. They mention sore throats durring these illnesses and there has been some effectivness in other patients having toncills removed also.ANYWAY.... Maybe this gives you someplace to look!! Cindy (if you are interseted in more info on the fevers, there is some on this "healthboards" under "rare dissorders, PFAPA")

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2002, 11:58 AM   #3

BBMom HB User
I heard that if they have big tonsils, and if they sleep with their mouth open at night, this could be a cause for bad breath. My daughter also has bad breath...we never had her tonsils out because she doesn't get sore throats very often, but she does have big tonsils and she snores at night. Just a thought.

Old 03-07-2002, 02:07 PM   #4

girlie1112000 HB User
I have the same problem. I began to notice it when I was in my pre-teens and it was very hard to deal with. I have terrific oral hygiene so it was frustrating to constantly have bad breath. It wasn't until I was about 18 that a dr finally cleared it up for me. It was my sinuses. Anytime that I have sinus drainage it causes horrible breath. I make sure that I sleep with a humidifier to alleviate any sinus problems and I always have breath mints on me. It is just one of the extra things I have to worry about, but I don't let it bug me too much. I have close friends and now a loving husband who are honest and caring enough to politely pass me a mint when needed. My advice, is to ask her dr about any sinus, allergy, or throat problems and don't make her feel like it is something so terrible that it causes her to feel insecure about it.

Carrie

Old 03-20-2002, 09:48 AM   #5

SusanM HB User
Strep can cause bad breath. You might want to get her checked for it.

Old 03-24-2002, 04:45 AM   #6

ouchywoo HB User
Does your daughter breath thru her nose or mouth?
If she breaths thru her mouth then she is bound to have bad breath. She would also be thirsty more than most people. If this is the case, you should go see your doc and ask about sinus problems or enlarged adanoids.(spelling)?
Also does she snore? This is also a symptom of mouth breathing.

Good Luck

Old 04-04-2002, 01:38 PM   #7

Terez Nicole HB User
If none of the above applies to your case, you should take your daughter to a homeopathic physician and find out if she has a problem with yeast or parasites. Also, is your daughter constipated? This will surely make anyone's breath reak!!

Old 04-09-2002, 02:38 PM   #8

q-tip2 HB User
Maybe I can help. Look up tonsilloliths or tonsil stones.

Some people are born with big folds/cavities in the tonsil area and food particles get stuck there.

Eventually, it calcifies to "throat tartar". It smells really really nasty.

If the fold is not too big, vigourous gargling with a salt solution will dislodge them

Otherwise, a waterpick or something similar might be needed to dislodge them. (but i dont know how safe that is for a 5 year old's tender oral tissue)

Closed Thread