It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2002, 09:48 AM   #1
(female)

MotherOfAPrincess HB User
Question Tick On Child

I pulled a stuck tick of my daughter May 16,it was black w/ white spots...over the wekend we noticed two
knots in her neck that you could actually see,(this is the side the tick was on)on the opposite side behind her ear was a larger knot that was red and felt like it had fever in it...today May 21 I took her to the doctor
he felt of her neck and said she had multiple knots in her neck (the nurse that was in there looked wide eyed at him)doctor ordered a CBC Test(checks blood count)he
said the one behinh her ear looked like an insect bite..but it started after I found the tick(and I did pull the entire tick out by the head).Has anyone had any kind of problem like this from a tick??I don't understand why he wanted a CBC Test...someone said they do this for leukemia...She hasn't been sick,tired,irritable,or had a fever.Any feedback would help..

Old 05-22-2002, 07:40 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

Jaytor HB User
Hi:

First -- until your doctor has the results of any tests, just assume that your doctor is being thorough, and that checking for possible malignancies is the right thing to do.

I'm a parent of a child who was diagnosed with AML a leukemia that is less common in young children than ALL [acute lymphoblastic leukemia] which is often referred to as childhood leukemia. When the pediatrician at our local hospital first told us what types of tests he needed to perform and his reason for conducting these tests, our world stopped. We could not believe what he suscepted might be true except that it was plainly obvious that our child was very ill.

Regardless of the diagnosis, pls feel free to contact me on this board. It took a lot of time but our child is now healthy and has resumed normal activities. Let me know if you need help with locating medical information.

Good luck to your little one and your entire family,
Jay

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2002, 07:55 AM   #3

~*just_me*~ HB User
The lumps ma have just been swollen lymph nodes, and the CBC would check the white blood cell count, which would indicate an infection. Usually unless the tick has been attached over 24 hours(and by then it would be really bloated and whitish) Lyme disease shouldn't be a problem. Keep an eye out for a bullseye rash, though, and not necessarily right where the bite was. The doc was just trying to be thorough, and checking for an infection, and in that case he will use antibiotics. Your lymph nodes swell when your body is fighting something foreign off.
Hope all turns out well!
Beth

Old 05-22-2002, 12:39 PM   #4
(female)

MotherOfAPrincess HB User
The nurse called with the results and said the count shows it is something virual....and the next step would be to do a "mono" test....I looked up mono and she has no symptoms of mono..only her lymph nodes are swollen...and for her to stay on the antibiotic..which will not help a virus....I guess its gotten me dumb-founded....she's only 7.....Thanks for the replys...

Old 05-22-2002, 03:03 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

Jaytor HB User
According to the CDC, young children don't always have the classic mono [Epstein Barr Virus] symptoms. Here's the link:
[url="http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/hip/abc/facts23.htm"]http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/hip/abc/facts23.htm[/url]

You can find ticks and insect bite information on the MedLinePlus link below:
[url="http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/tickbites.html"]http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/tickbites.html[/url]

Have you called your child's school [daycare] to find out if any other kids have similar symptoms? Usually Public Health keeps track of illnesses caused by tick bites in addition to tracking contagious diseases.

Old 06-08-2007, 12:35 PM   #6
(female)

Contajen HB User
Re: Tick On Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherOfAPrincess View Post
I pulled a stuck tick of my daughter May 16,it was black w/ white spots...over the wekend we noticed two
knots in her neck that you could actually see,(this is the side the tick was on)on the opposite side behind her ear was a larger knot that was red and felt like it had fever in it...today May 21 I took her to the doctor
he felt of her neck and said she had multiple knots in her neck (the nurse that was in there looked wide eyed at him)doctor ordered a CBC Test(checks blood count)he
said the one behinh her ear looked like an insect bite..but it started after I found the tick(and I did pull the entire tick out by the head).Has anyone had any kind of problem like this from a tick??I don't understand why he wanted a CBC Test...someone said they do this for leukemia...She hasn't been sick,tired,irritable,or had a fever.Any feedback would help..
I know this is an extremely old post but my sister found a tick just like the one you have described behind her ear and then a few days later also developed painful knots or nodes behind that ear. There is a small red rash at the point where the tick bit her. She went to the doctor and they said that she had Shingles. They claim the tick bite probably brought it on. I just wondered if you ever discovered what was wrong with your little girl.

Closed Thread