It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2002, 07:34 PM   #1

JJNed8484 HB User
Thumbs down My younger daughter bigger than my older son.

Hey, I have a 13-year-old son about 5 feet, 90 pounds. My 9-year-old daughter is 9 years old but about 5 feet 5 inches and a half, 120 pounds. I know that my daughter has matured early through puberty and has developed breasts and pubic hair. My son is very depressed and often people just assume that my son is really "the younger child". Besides that he is very depressed although his friends do not make fun of him (I'm pretty sure). A lot of times he will not let his feelings out. Occasionally they will get into physical fights and my daughter is stronger and can hurt my older son, which is even more depressing. I'm pretty sure my son is starting puberty and I'm hoping a spurt will boost him up. Does anyone else have or know of a problem that I have. It will probably relieve a lot of stress :-) Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2002, 09:46 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User
Hello, I've often heard that children do not grow at steady rates, especially boys. I've also seen girls being taller than some boys in middle school, then by high school the same boys are taller than the girls. He'll start growing more later on, so she'll have to watch out when he hits high school. I've also heard that weight lifting can stunt a boy's growth, if he starts it at a too young of an age. How about some martial arts courses to build up confidence?

------------------
Magpie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2002, 03:20 PM   #3
(female)

Connor5 HB User
Hi, I have 3 boys so I can't compare but...when I was in the 6th grade, is that 12? Anyway, I was 5'6". I towered over all the boys and they called me the jolly green giant. Then I just stopped growing. I am now 46 and still 5'6". When I was about 15 the boys caught up with me in height and they were all taller than me in high school. Tell your son not to worry, he will grow, boys just do it later than girls.

Old 06-05-2002, 05:04 PM   #4

deeP90 HB User
Arrow

That's a pretty bad situation...
I know that when I was about 7 I was taller than my 10 yr old brother by a few inches and I didn't even reach puberty then. When I was 11 and he was 14 I had my growth spurt and my first period. I know that he was about 4 feet 11 very small for his age 85 pounds about when I was 5 feet 3 and a half inches. I never had a fight with him or played him in a physical sports because I more liked playing with my friends. However I think you should tell your daughter that although she might be bigger and stronger than your son, she should not use her "power" in bad ways. I do know that it was very humiliating when i stood next to him. However a few months later he had a spurt and in two years he was a few inches bigger than me. Don't worry. :-)
- Debby

Old 06-05-2002, 05:07 PM   #5

deeP90 HB User
Arrow

That's a pretty bad situation...
I know that when I was about 7 I was taller than my 10 yr old brother by a few inches and I didn't even reach puberty then. When I was 11 and he was 14 I had my growth spurt and my first period. I know that he was about 4 feet 11 very small for his age 85 pounds about when I was 5 feet 3 and a half inches. I never had a fight with him or played him in a physical sports because I more liked playing with my friends. However I think you should tell your daughter that although she might be bigger and stronger than your son, she should not use her "power" in bad ways. I do know that it was very humiliating when i stood next to him. However a few months later he had a spurt and in two years he was a few inches bigger than me. Don't worry. :-)
- Debby

Old 06-10-2002, 07:14 PM   #6
Inactive

mlgable HB User
We joke about that in our house. My son is 12 and very short and only weighs about 62# while his sister who is 11 is already about 5'1" or 5'2' and weighs 112#. They do fine with this as my son has always been the smaller and lighter of the two. I refer to them as my lightweight and heavyweight when talking to people and both of my kids full well know it is a joke and this helps ease the tension. If you son is really having problems dealing with this though you may wnat to condsider getting an appointment with a counselor to help him work through this.

Old 06-24-2002, 10:23 PM   #7

Cristiana HB User
When I was 14 almost all my school boys mates were shorter then me though I wasn't the tallest girl in the class. Only after a summer holliday I was surpriesed that only one was shorter and the rest I had to look upwards to their faces. So tall they grew all of a sudden that we(the girls) hardly could get used with the change.
I think boys are growing later then girls and your boy will catch up very soon with your daughter if not overtake her. Anyway the phisical conflicts should be totaly avoided so no proofs of strenght should be demonstrated.

Old 06-26-2002, 12:45 PM   #8

maggie113 HB User
I can relate to that situation. My brother and I are 13 1/2mos apart and growing up I was always bigger. Then his senior year he went from 5'3" to 6'5"although he is still skinny. I too used to hurt him when we fought http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/redface.gif. Today we are pretty good friends. I'll bet when he hits high school he'll have a growth spurt and tower over her.
Charlie /5/24/00
#3 Katrina Rose EDD 4/29/02

Old 06-26-2002, 02:42 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

wrin HB User
don't worry about it, it's just that he hasn't reached puberty yet and put on the adult weight that your daughter has. I'm 18 now, my younger brother (16) used to always be shorter than me by at least 6-8 inches and slimmer by a good 20 pounds, now he is fully 25-30 pounds heavier than me and almost 8" taller. His growth spurts will happen later, when he is 14-15-16, and she will be done growing by then and watching him shoot past her. So long as he is growing at a normal rate for his age without comparing him to girls (because they do grow at much different rates) expect this to turn around within about 3-5 years. Your daughter just hit puberty early. It happens.

Old 08-06-2005, 09:08 AM   #10
(male)

thomasfn HB User
Re: My younger daughter bigger than my older son.

How is the situation now 3 years later?

Old 08-06-2005, 09:44 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

kitkat77 HB User
Re: My younger daughter bigger than my older son.

I'm more concerned about your daughter than your son. Puberty is the time when children shoot up like weeds -- your son just hasn't gotten there yet. By the sounds of it your daughter HAS, and she's too young!

I would check into Precocious Puberty if I were you. If your daughter has this then she may have finished growing already and that is not good. A trip to the doctor to rule this out would be a good idea. They can diagnose it from an xray.

Closed Thread