It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2002, 08:47 AM   #1

Sunflowers HB User
Post teenage bedwetting

Hi to all,

If there's anyone on this site that has/had a friend, relative, child, teenager with this problem, please give me some tip's.

I want to help this 14 yr old boy that I know. Apparently has had this problem since he moved here 5 yrs ago from another state. Has been on and off med's for the last 2 yrs, at his request to ne on them. Mom now has him off all med's except for the 25 mg's of Imipramine in order to give his body a " summer break".
In the 2 week's since he's been off the med's, except for the Imipramine, the boy has only had 1 accident. Let me just mention that he's an avid player of Everquest and is often up late which probably help's because he's up and awake to go to the bathroom.

Any tip's for when school start's up again. I just want to know if other's have gone thru this...

thank you all in advance,

ps: mom is very supportive but frustrated.

Old 07-07-2002, 09:29 AM   #2

Nancy S+13 HB User
My younger brother went through the same thing, although he was never on any meds. He eventually did outgrow it, although it took him until he was maybe the same age as this boy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2002, 12:30 PM   #3

Sunflowers HB User
really? How did your brother cope with this? Did he have the accident every night?

thanks for your reply

Old 07-07-2002, 11:26 PM   #4

Nancy S+13 HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by Sunflowers:
really? How did your brother cope with this? Did he have the accident every night?

thanks for your reply
I wasn't living at home anymore by that time, but I know it was really tough on him. It was worse if he wanted to stay overnight somewhere.

Old 07-25-2002, 12:41 PM   #5

Sky1998 HB User
This is embarrasing to say but I had a bedwetting problem until I was 13-14 y/o. I really don't know what caused my problems. My dad would stop me from drinking after 4P but it would still happen. I just did not feel the urge at night, it would just happen and I had no clue! I've heard of over-active bladder, but don't know much about it. Personally I really don't know what you could do for him. If he's on meds that's the best thing, if it helps him. Other than that I don't know of anything anyone could have done for me to help me.

Old 08-08-2002, 10:15 PM   #6
(female)

MelNor HB User
I was an everynight bedwetter until I was 16....Yes 16!! It was terrible, I was on every med possible, my mom later told me, the doctor at one point even told her I was doing it for attention...can u believe that! We had a well adjusted family growing up and we never had much stress or need to seek negative attention! That dr. was so convinced I was doing it on purpose, even though my father was also a bedwetter into his teenage years, the dr. gave me this big story about how they finally came up with this no fail stop bed wetting pill! I later found out that the pill was only a sugar pill, he used it to try to trick me into believing they found a cure so I couldn't "fake" it anymore! LOL I guess that would explain why the pill didn't work...but at the time it wasn't suprising to me cause none of the real pills worked either.

Oddly enough when I was about 16, it stopped, I guess I just outgrew it.

Also when I was pregnant and having an ultrasound the girl doing the test asked me if I ever had pee problems but wouldn't say anymore about it. When I went back to the dr. I asked if there was anything on my report that would make the lady ask questions about my pee problems. He said my bladder was grossly petite. I went for some tests at that point and it turns out my bladder (not 100% sure about the exact numbers) only can hold 60cc of fluid and a normal bladder will hold close to 200cc.

Guess that might explain the bed wetting problem... your friend might want to have him checked for that. I am unaware of any cure for it and if anyone knows or has heard of any, please let me know so I can go grocery shopping without taking 2 pee breaks LOL (I tried the bladder pump operation...it didn't work at all)

Even if uncured it will at least give them piece of mind to know it is medical not phsychological.

Old 08-09-2002, 10:22 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

Jaytor HB User
Have any of you seen a urologist or gynecologist? They can often find and treat the physiological cause of the problem when a GP can't or won't.

This incontinence article includes different causes and treatment options.
[url="http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003142.htm"]http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003142.htm[/url]

Old 08-09-2002, 08:45 PM   #8
Inactive

Tattoo HB User
Sunflowers, You mentioned that he was on meds, but you didn't meniton what kind. I was also a bedwetter, but it continued until adulthood. It started as a young child and continued through high school etc. I, too, was accused of it being attention getting etc. No parent should inflict such emotional harm on a child. It was years down the road when it was determined that the bedwetting was due to nocturnal seizures. One particular AED (Anti-epileptic Drug) stopped that. What meds was his mother giving him, and if the meds are necessary, why did she remove them? Hmmmm. I suggest that his mother or a concerned adult visit some of the epilepsy boards and see if other comparisons are noted. Eplpesy is many times overlooked as a causative fctor and often is misdiagnosed. I do suggest readiong Epilepsy boards. If other similarites are found, a visit to the child's Medical doc is first and then to the neurologist.Tattoo

[This message has been edited by Tattoo (edited 08-09-2002).]

Old 07-12-2005, 09:31 PM   #9
(male)

daniel/M HB User
Re: teenage bedwetting

im 14 and i still wet the bed and poop my pants should i tell my parents oh and you should just put your kid in diapers

Old 07-13-2005, 06:19 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

whiteluluflower HB User

are u serious daniel.. to me.. i dont think so.. um..

i had bedwetting problems (and bladder infections), i was on different medications. what actually stopped both, bedwetting, and infections, was taking cipro, for a few months..

Old 07-13-2005, 09:32 PM   #11
(female)

not_myself HB User

I have heard that most bed wetting is a reslut of the bladder not growing at the same rate as the rest of the body. I was a bed wetter until about age 7 or 8 and I had numerous testing done to no avail. Then one day my mother was watching a talk show about this boy with the same problem and his doctor had him do what he called "peepee pushups" *lol* Basically everytime you go to the bathroom you let a little bit of urine out, then stop and repeat this until you have emptied your bladder. It worked! I don't know if this will help your situation but you can really go wrong with trying right?

A.

Old 07-14-2005, 01:52 PM   #12
(male)

daniel/M HB User

i still wet the bed every night should i tell my parents

Old 11-28-2007, 09:03 AM   #13
(male)

Speakersrock HB User

I know this thread died years ago...but I was linked to this page through a friend.

I am almost 16 and occasionally suffer from bed wetting. (embarising it is, but I thought I would try speak out)

I suffer from getting worries locked in my haed when I need to toilet badly, and becuase I think about it lots always think i will go wet myself - Is this kindof normal!?

The othjer thing is that i very so often wet my bed....often at about 3am...But the funny thing is i always dream I am going to the toilet - always!
and therefore wet the bed!

I have not recently wet the bed for a reason apart from that.
When I was born, I had some testical problem where one of them did not fully move down the body, but when I was about 5 I had opp for this to be sorted...which it was...and I know no more! (as i was only 5 when it happened ofcourse!!)

I wonderd if anyone had any ideas how to stop the bed wetting becuase of dreams!???

Old 11-28-2007, 07:38 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

How is your sleep? Do you snore? Have you had your tonsils and adenoids out? Why am I asking? Prolonged or onset bed wetting is a sign of Sleep Apnea in younge children and young adults. if it continues past the age of 2. Look into obstructive sleep apnea. Are you on medication? You should definitely tell your parents. It can be as simple as a urinary tract infection.. or complicated as a sleep disorder.

Active dreaming, sleep walking and talking and actions are also signs of poor quality sleep. Go to the sleep disorders board and root about. There is alot of good information there.

Sincerely,
MG

Last edited by mkgbrook; 11-28-2007 at 07:41 PM.

Old 12-06-2007, 05:22 PM   #15
(male)

MarkTS HB User

I'm another person that didn't stop until I was almost 17 years old. I was on meds that made it a bit hard to sleep. Take that and the fact I'm a nerd taking hard courses in high school and I was lucky I slept at all. For my last year of high school I would get to bed around 1am and wake up a bit after 5am. Oh and I only wet the bed because like many others I would dream I was using the toilet only to find out I wasn't. It wasn't that big of a deal for me as I kinda didn't have sleepovers.

I hear its quite common though but many of these ADHD meds can extend the time of bedwetting for many. I'm not sure why but it does for some. This is one of the hardest issues for teenagers and even worse IMO for teenage boys.

Closed Thread