It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2005, 08:13 PM   #1
(female)

Ralinda30 HB User
5 yr old with Headaches

My 5 yr old has been having headaches for about a year and a half, I have taken her to the doctor and was told not to worry. She assured me that headaches in children, were quite common. For my satisfaction she is going to schedule a ct scan for her. My mother and grandmother both passed away from anyurasms so I am concerned. If y'all know any info it would be great. Thanks, Ralinda

Old 05-04-2005, 08:03 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

hrtofluv HB User
Re: 5 yr old with Headaches

Ralinda,
My son started having migraines (vomiting and all) at the age of 4. We did get a CT and MRI to rule out all other possibilities. He simply has migraines and it is common in young children.
Aneursyms usually are excrutiating pain and vomiting - so I think you would have had her into an ER by now with those symptoms. The other thing that these symptoms suggest are enlarged cerebral tonsils (that slip into the spinal canal) causing the severe migraines. My son did not have this, but a child I teach in church does. His mother is considering the surgery to correct this in the near future.
I know how scary it is when your child is hurting and you can't help them except comfort and medicine (that usually takes forever to work when you're in pain). So I am glad to see your doc has approved the ct scan. This should help to rule everything out or pinpoint the reason for the headaches.
Just wanted you to know that someone else has been there and knows how you feel. When is the ct scan?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2005, 12:02 AM   #3
(female)

fifistoosh HB User

Have you had their vision checked?

They may be struggling focusing and need spectacles.
My daughter had headaches (other symptoms too) and it turned out she had cataracts (rare in children). She wears spectacles now, has had surgery on both eyes and she is fine.

Hope things work out for you.

Old 05-06-2005, 08:38 PM   #4
(female)

Ralinda30 HB User

Thank you so much for responding. We go Wed the 11th. They said they will do it w/o contrast, but if the tech suspects anything than they will use the contrast.

Old 05-08-2005, 12:15 PM   #5
(female)

Josie's Momma HB User

Here's just another thought. This came from my sister who is a nurse so take it as you will. By the time children ask for something to drink they are already dehydrated. Dehydration leads to headaches. My neice went through it and once we started making sure she was drinking plenty of water the headaches went away.
Good luck with all the tests. I know its scary.

Old 05-09-2005, 06:33 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

bren7 HB User

I'm sorry to hear about your daughter getting headaches.

My son was getting them when he was about 4 or 5. Well we figured they werent to often so no big deal then I stated noticing he was getting them more often and they were getting worse. The headache got to the point the he was not eating (he is a huge eater) he would lay on the couch or go to bed in the middle of the day, on a scale of 1 -10 his became a 10. I took him to the dr., his dr sent us to a neurologist, the neurologist figured it was migraines and gave him migraine med and sent him for an MRI (the day after his 6th bday), the MRI came back he didnt have migraines, but they found a sever infection in his sinus cavity, so the neurologist put him on 2000mg of antibiolic a day for 3 weeks and sent us to and ear, nose and throat (ENT) dr. The ENT dr sent him for a ct scan, the ct scan found a poylp in his sinus cavity and enlarged adnoids. The ENT dr, gave us a choice of 1) remove the adnoids (which may or may not fix the problem and could cause more problems for him) or 2) leave the adnoids be and take motrin to get rid of the headache, the ent said that he may grow into his adnoids his opinion was to let him keep the adnoids, but sent us to and allergist to make sure he wasnt having an allergic reaction to something. the allergist did tests he isnt allergic to anything.

My son is now just over 8 1/2 yrs old, We control the headaches with motrin which works for him. 1 yr after having all these tests done we had to change his pediatric dr (insurance reasons), every yr before school starts he have to get a dr's note to let him take motrin at school if he needs it. The new dr wanted to put my son though all thoughs tests again just to find out what the problem is with my son, she doesnt believe the results of the neurologist and ENT and allergist, mind you 1 year after he had all these tests done. My son doesnt get sick to often other then the headaches and the postnasal drip. OH, I should mention, when my son gets post nasal drip the headaches come more often. I refused to put my son though all those tests again so soon. Now I am going to have to get my son to another dr and hope that that dr isnt going to want to redo all those tests, Im going to need another drs note for school soon (the end of July).

Have you been keeping a headache log? the drs are going to want one. it consists of......
date (of headache)
time (of headaches)
how long the headache lasted
on a scale of 1 - 10 (how bad was the headache)
what your child ate and drank (before the headache)
what was your child doing before the headache
what meds did you give you child to get rid of the headache

if you havent already started keeping this log you should start now, a neuroligist and ENT will want this record as should your childs pediatrian. The dr's tend to just want to sluff you of and say its migrianes (which it could be) but it could be something else and you should see a neurologist at least.

This is a tough time for you and your child, you feel so bad for your child and you know there isnt much you can do to make them feel better. Hang in there it will get better, just dont take the dr's first answer make sure you get tests to verify what is going on with your child. I know you want the best for your child but sometimes these dr's dont care as much as they pretend to.

Good luck
Bren

Last edited by bren7; 05-09-2005 at 06:37 AM.

Old 05-09-2005, 05:51 PM   #7
(female)

Ralinda30 HB User

Thanks, Bren...Yes, I told the Doctor I wanted a CT scan. She told me Sierra really didnt need one, headache's were common in young children. I told her with my family history I would like one to be done. I will start keeping a log on her headaches. She can go several months w/o a headache, but when she get's one they are terrible. I hope your son gets better, and like you I control her headaches with motron also. Best of luck to you...Ralinda

Old 05-10-2005, 04:06 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

bren7 HB User

Ralinda, I hope everything turns out for your daughter. I'm glad to hear that she doesnt get headaches all the time. I found when I explained to my son that as soon as you feel the headache coming on tell me and he can have motrin, his headaches dont get as bad. I would suggest you explain that to your daughter, and give her the motrin before it becomes that horrible headache she nomally gets. I dont know if your daughter will be able to make that distinction if she doesnt get them that often, but you could still let her know. As you keep that headache log, if you notice that they are coming more regularly take she back in and insist that they do tests. I hope your daughter gets better.
Good luck
Bren

Old 05-11-2005, 07:21 PM   #9
(female)

Ralinda30 HB User

We went today for the ct scan, she was very upset. They didn't have to use the contrast which made it much easier for her.I feel like everything will come out ok.Thanks for all who helped me...Ralinda

Old 05-12-2005, 01:15 PM   #10
(female)

Ralinda30 HB User

Got the results today, and everything looked fine. Just thought I would tell all of you. I feel so thankful everything is okay. Ralinda

Old 05-13-2005, 09:08 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

hrtofluv HB User

Ralinda
What great news!! Glad to hear it!!
hrtofluv

Old 05-14-2005, 04:48 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

bren7 HB User