It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Children's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2005, 09:57 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

jellebeans HB User
my 3 year old still dribbles????

hi,my little boy is coming up to 4 years old soon,hes healthy but still dribbles terribly!!!
when he was younger it was so much i had to change his t shirt sometimes after half hour as it would be soaked from dribble,i put that down to teething.
i cant understand why he would still be doing this at his age...even though its not as bad as it used to be,its just a pain,every one has had enough of being dribbled on!!! none of my friends children do this,any ideas??thanks

Old 05-08-2005, 05:54 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

valleygurl HB User
Re: my 3 year old still dribbles????

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellebeans
hi,my little boy is coming up to 4 years old soon,hes healthy but still dribbles terribly!!!
when he was younger it was so much i had to change his t shirt sometimes after half hour as it would be soaked from dribble,i put that down to teething.
i cant understand why he would still be doing this at his age...even though its not as bad as it used to be,its just a pain,every one has had enough of being dribbled on!!! none of my friends children do this,any ideas??thanks
jellebeans, Hi There! You say that your child is healthy, have you addressed the drooling with your son's Pediatrician? As drooling past the age of 2 could be a sign of a medical condition, if the cause of the drooling has not been diagnosed or if there is a concern about possible aspiration then you should contact your child's health care providor.

Drooling is generally caused by excess production of saliva, inability to retain saliva within the mouth, or problems with swallowing. Some with drooling problems can be at an increased risk of aspirating (inhaling) the saliva,food, or fluids into the lungs. However, this is unlikely to cause harm unless the body's normal reflex mechanisms (such as gagging and coughing) are also impaired.

Drooling in infants and young children may be exacerbated by upper respiratory infections and nasal allergies. Also, drooling-or excess saliva production-is common in children with Neurological and other problems. After age 2, drooling is limited, except among children with central nervous system and muscular disorders, like Cerebral Palsy and Rett Syndrome.

Drooling associated with fever or trouble swallowing may be a sign of a more serious disease including:
*Retropharyngeal Abscess
*Peritonsillar Abscess
*Tonsilitis
*Mononucleosis
*Strep Throat

*Some medications can cause drooling as well as there are certain medications that can be prescribed to control saliva volume.

The underlying causes of drooling should be treated, because complications can include " gross emotional and physical impairment ". Drooling can also transmit infections and in the worst cases, could result in dehydration and interfere with speech.

Children with moderate to severe drooling, are usually referred to a clinic specializing in this specific problem.

I am not trying to worry you, as you said that your child appears to be very healthy. He could be drooling for absolutely no apparent reason or even from a simple ailment. I just wanted to give you as much information as i possibly could. However, i would most definately have him evaluated by his pediatrician and ask for any referrals that he/she may be able to give you.

Good Luck, ValleyGurl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2005, 10:16 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

jellebeans HB User

hi,thank you for your imfo,
yes im worrying now!!!!!! will get him to the doctors this week to get him checked over to put my mind at rest.
thanks again x

Old 05-09-2005, 09:59 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

valleygurl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellebeans
hi,thank you for your imfo,
yes im worrying now!!!!!! will get him to the doctors this week to get him checked over to put my mind at rest.
thanks again x
jellebeans, I am glad to hear that you are going to take your child to the Pediatrician for an evaluation. Personally, if it were I that was in your situation I too would be taking my child. If you have that motherly instinct that something could be wrong with your child, and if your Pediatrician trys to dismiss the drooling as "nothing", I would demand a referral to an Neurologist. As a Neurologist would be the best type of physician to be able to acurately diagnose your child should there be an underlying condition causing the drooling. Just remember, should there be an underlying condition, the earlier you address it and get some form of treatment while your child is still young , the better. Also the better the outcome may be long term.

You, as a parent, are your childs only advocate. Be aggressive with the doctors! Use your voice! As I have a severely handicapped child and i learned very early on to be VERY aggressive for my child. Yes, I have at times made some doctors very aggitated but i always do what is right for my child and in the long run, the doctors end up admiring and respecting you for it!

Good luck with your child and please do keep us all posted!
ValleyGurl

Closed Thread